1984 Spree doesnt start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

1984 Spree doesnt start

Post by e-Pirate »

I'm wanting to say its the fuel check valve, but i'm not sure...

I can get it to pick up a little while i'm cranking if I put my hand over the intake, giving it enough pressure to suck fuel, but it gets too much fuel and not enough air, then goes back to just cranking. Does it normally take that much pressure to suck fuel out of the valve? Or is it something else completely?

Also, I got it to run for a few seconds on some starter fluid when the gas tank wasnt connected, if that helps at all.
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
tospreeornottospree
Goped
Goped

Re: 1984 Spree doesnt start

Post by tospreeornottospree »

ok #1 dont run your spree on starting fluid does not have the lubrication needed for 2-strokes! if you use starting fluid get the diesel starting fluid it has some oil in it #2 try cleaning the carb its only a few screws and a can of carb cleaner its not real difficult.... just pay attention to the way it comes apart #3 spree engines are really temperamental with out the stock airbox you will need to up jet the carb so not to run lean #4 check your petcock quickly done by pulling the fuel line off the carb and the vacuum line of the intake suck on the vacuum line and see if it flows fuel if not more than likely a clogged filter in the tank a few ideas since you said it would start on starting fluid good luck!
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

tospreeornottospree wrote:ok #1 dont run your spree on starting fluid does not have the lubrication needed for 2-strokes! if you use starting fluid get the diesel starting fluid it has some oil in it #2 try cleaning the carb its only a few screws and a can of carb cleaner its not real difficult.... just pay attention to the way it comes apart #3 spree engines are really temperamental with out the stock airbox you will need to up jet the carb so not to run lean #4 check your petcock quickly done by pulling the fuel line off the carb and the vacuum line of the intake suck on the vacuum line and see if it flows fuel if not more than likely a clogged filter in the tank a few ideas since you said it would start on starting fluid good luck!
I know it's getting gas, and the petcock is letting it through, but I have to hold my hand over the intake for it to put out fuel. And like I said, it starts to pick up a little, but doesnt go anywhere. Could it be that it works, but isnt sensitive enough for the vacuum pressure being fed to it?
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
tospreeornottospree
Goped
Goped

basically your choking your engine with your hand over the carb intake almost sounds like you have bi-starter (electric choke issues) but still like i said before spree engines are temperamental when it comes to running with out the airbox but like i said before pull that carb clean that sucker spay the jets and passageways out make sure they are not pluged up then make sure your carb is adjusted right i believe the pilot jet screw is a just over a turn and half out dont quote me but check other topics for carb tuning to get the base line for carb tuning
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

e-Pirate wrote:I know it's getting gas, and the petcock is letting it through, but I have to hold my hand over the intake for it to put out fuel. And like I said, it starts to pick up a little, but doesnt go anywhere. Could it be that it works, but isnt sensitive enough for the vacuum pressure being fed to it?
You know it is getting gas to the carb inlet, BUT you do not know if there is gas in the carb float bowl and even if there is, you don't know if it is getting into the intake system. You are assuming way to much.

Oh and what valve are you talking about sucking fuel out of?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
tospreeornottospree
Goped
Goped

bear i dont know if you were referring to me but if you were i was trying to help him eliminate a clogged tank filter by applying vacuum to the vacuum line on the petcock to see if there is proper fuel flow ...... if he was only getting a dribble out of the line he could be running into a lack of fuel situation... thus i like your idea of assumptions but not knowing fully op i hope your not assuming anything because if you assume things you make an * out of you and me
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tospreeornottospree wrote:bear i dont know if you were referring to me but if you were i was trying to help him eliminate a clogged tank filter by applying vacuum to the vacuum line on the petcock to see if there is proper fuel flow ...... if he was only getting a dribble out of the line he could be running into a lack of fuel situation... thus i like your idea of assumptions but not knowing fully op i hope your not assuming anything because if you assume things you make an * out of you and me
No, not you. The OP claimed,

"I know it's getting gas, and the petcock is letting it through, but I have to hold my hand over the intake for it to put out fuel. And like I said, it starts to pick up a little, but doesnt go anywhere. Could it be that it works, but isnt sensitive enough for the vacuum pressure being fed to it?"

He is assuming a lot without knowing and that gets nothing fixed.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

Bear45-70 wrote:
tospreeornottospree wrote:bear i dont know if you were referring to me but if you were i was trying to help him eliminate a clogged tank filter by applying vacuum to the vacuum line on the petcock to see if there is proper fuel flow ...... if he was only getting a dribble out of the line he could be running into a lack of fuel situation... thus i like your idea of assumptions but not knowing fully op i hope your not assuming anything because if you assume things you make an * out of you and me

"I know it's getting gas, and the petcock is letting it through, but I have to hold my hand over the intake for it to put out fuel. And like I said, it starts to pick up a little, but doesnt go anywhere. Could it be that it works, but isnt sensitive enough for the vacuum pressure being fed to it?"

Wow, I signed up for this forum for info on how to get this thing running. I think ive been using this for like a week so far and all ive seen is alot of * back and fourth. And even half the emoticons are used to be a smart * to somebody else.

I mean, *... The first topic I posted here was flooded with people arguing over if its called a 'scooter' or a 'moped'. Who gives a s***, they both have 2 wheels and neither get you laid....

So basically I'm gonna find help elsewhere. Thanks for the service manuals....
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

e-Pirate wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:

Wow, I signed up for this forum for info on how to get this thing running. I think ive been using this for like a week so far and all ive seen is alot of * back and fourth. And even half the emoticons are used to be a smart * to somebody else.

I mean, *... The first topic I posted here was flooded with people arguing over if its called a 'scooter' or a 'moped'. Who gives a s***, they both have 2 wheels and neither get you laid....

So basically I'm gonna find help elsewhere. Thanks for the service manuals....
I guess real life with real people is too tough for you to deal with. No wonder you can't fix a scooter.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree