exciter coil resistance readings

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

exciter coil resistance readings

Post by mikehailwood »

Exciter coil resistance specification is 750-1200 ohms per our on-line manual. My '84 reads 699 ohms. How will this out-of-spec resistance effect spark ignition?

Mike
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

You will not notice ANY difference at that small amount of deviation.
Scoot safely
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Wow, you are really into spree preformance and care. I have seen some mopeds that are lucky to get oil. I think that is why we see so many broken spree's. People just dont care about stuff.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Hey Tippmann!
Performance and care? I just can't get my Spree started and am trying to figure out why I have no spark. Thanks for reading my post, though.

Mike
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Ahh, sorry. Lol, i thought you were just fine tuning... Sounds like you should try one of these then.
1. clean the carb
2. check the muffler (see if its clogged )
3. check for reed valve damage

i have more suggestions if this doesnt work. try a carb clean tho. They like to mess us a lot
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Tippmann98 wrote:Ahh, sorry. Lol, i thought you were just fine tuning... Sounds like you should try one of these then.
1. clean the carb
2. check the muffler (see if its clogged )
3. check for reed valve damage

i have more suggestions if this doesnt work. try a carb clean tho. They like to mess us a lot
Yo! Tippmann! I appreciate any and all suggestions, but my problem is "no spark".
thanks, Mike
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Check your wiring connections back to the CDI box to make sure it's getting power. Next would be input from the trigger switch on the "flywheel."
Shane4188
Spree
Spree

Post by Shane4188 »

um, ya, tipp,
I don't think cleaning the carburetor will make any difference when there is no freggin spark. It helps to read the post first.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

ok *. I misread the post. It was probably like 4AM and i was running off of caffine.. But i would guess to try swapping the magneto, the magnets pick up, the spark plug, or maybe even the coil.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

um yeah i think shane is * at u
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

Haha, nah. we just talk like this.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Shane, don't be so hard on Tippmann. I need all the help I can get.
Tippmann, Thanks again for listening and responding.
Noiseguy, I've tested the signal coil for resistance per the manual and the readings are within spec parameters. However, I wish I knew how to test it's output with the flywheel/magnet spinning so as to determine if the signal coil, in fact, does work. From what I have read, a bad resistance test result tells me that the unit is bad; but a good resistance test result only tells me that the unit might be good. I have checked all 5 wires which go to the CDI for continuity to ground and they check out correctly. The exciter coil is producing voltage. Any thoughts?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Have you checked to see if your spark plug cap is good? This part screws into the wire of the coil. Check this first if you haven't yet.

Are you getting voltage at the coil inputs when you turn the engine over? Pull the spark plug to make it crank easier if you want.

Jerry is going to need to chime in on the rest; I haven't had to mess with this part yet (although quantifying the black box is on my to-do list.) What is the condition of your wires? Your black box is getting power?
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

Resistance readings from the coil input leads through the spark plug cap seem okay. There is no voltage coming to the coil inputs. Wires appear to be in good condition. As I mentioned before, all f wires leading to the CDI check out okay. The wire to the CDI (Black w/red stripe I believe) registers over 100V when I spin the flywheel.
Tippmann98
Spree
Spree

Post by Tippmann98 »

i would just replace the coil. This has happened to the motor i have before. I had a gut feeling that was what it was and i swapped it and boom... it starts right up