I need my scooter to run....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

aplummer12
Noob
Noob

I need my scooter to run....

Post by aplummer12 »

I have a 1985 spree. Hasn't been running in 20 years and I haven't been able to ride it since I've been working on it.

I have:
-Cleaned the carb....4 times (haven't been able to remove the main jet tube but did clean the screw....the hole in it is clear)
-Checked the starter to see if the brushes were bad (before I got it to start)
-replaced the battery
-replaced the plug
-replaced the air filter
-checked the voltage throughout the scooter (before I got it to start)
-took the petcock off and cleaned it out.
-checked the fuel line....flow is great.
-pulled the bystarter out (needle stayed in so I pulled it out) ...put it back in a couple times to see if that was the problem
-finally got it to start once I put octane booster directly in the engine..now it starts most of the time, but when I rev the engine to try and move...it wont move. Not even a little bit if I put it on the stand. It sound like it should be moving. So I took the cover off the transmission and the belt looks fine...The black pulley with holes in it (that turns the wheel) seems to be the problem..because the pulley right behind it (attached to the belt) turns fine...
I was going to take the pulley off to see if something isnt connected between the 2 pulleys but I cant stablize it enough to take the bolt off....Is that even the issue? I think I might need impact to get it off....I've put wd40 all over it and it wont budge. PLEASE HELP!!!!
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Re: I need my scooter to run....

Post by toboggan »

that black thing with the holes is the clutch bell, when it's up on the stand, and the tires is clear off the ground, you should be able to turn the wheel to spin the bell, or turn the bell to spin the wheel.

when you turn the throttle, the RPM's should get higher, and the clutch (rear pulley) should let the pads spin out and grab the bell and spin the tire.

If the bell doesn't turn AT ALL, somethings wrong, gears could be messed up, brakes could be stuck, etc.
aplummer12
Noob
Noob

Post by aplummer12 »

What would be the best way to remove the clutch bell? I haven't been able to muscle it off..I'm a 110 lb girl ha. Would a small shop do it for me or is there a trick? thanks!
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

haha, well an impact wrench is what a use.
aplummer12
Noob
Noob

Post by aplummer12 »

thank you! I'm running over to a shop right now to use their impact wrench
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

you're welcome! i believe the rear nut is 12mm just for quick reference.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

toboggan wrote:you're welcome! i believe the rear nut is 12mm just for quick reference.

14 mm
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

that's what i meant :wink:
aplummer12
Noob
Noob

Post by aplummer12 »

Sooo.....I got the nut off at a shop...took the belt off so I held the clutch assembly in my hand....the 3 arms that swing out by centripetal force seem too tight....I can barely pull one out with my hand...and the pads are only ablout 1/8 of an inch high......is it the pads? or is it stuck (the arms)
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Sounds like it is fine. Rear brake stuck?
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
aplummer12
Noob
Noob

Post by aplummer12 »

it can't ne the brakes bc when i rotate the clutch bell the wheel spins?
aplummer12
Noob
Noob

Post by aplummer12 »

when I turn the clutch bell...the back wheel spins fine.....and the belt looks ok...ot just seems that the back drive pulley doesn't engage the clutch? belt slippage maybe? or are there other possibilities...like I said earlier....it hasn't run in 20 years
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

The way I would do it would be to start it without the cover on and watch. You have to push on the starter bendix while you crank it. Then keep it from hitting the driven face once it starts.IDK if you should try this you could lose a finger or hurt yourself.
aplummer12
Noob
Noob

Post by aplummer12 »

ha at this point it wouldn't make that big of a difference if I hurt myself...My pride has been hurt enough already...I will try this thanks
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

use a small wooden block to hold the starter gear. you shouldn't be able to open up those arms by hand.