86' Spree dies past half throttle...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spreedemon
Noob
Noob

86' Spree dies past half throttle...

Post by Spreedemon »

Just got the Spree a few weeks ago and it runs ok... usually starts on the first try. I'm loving it...other than the fact that it wants to die if I give it too much gas while riding.
I've cleaned the carb, air filter, checked hoses and kicked it a few times... but nothing seemed to help. I can get it up to about 20mph on a flat, but any incline (hill) gives me grief and I slow to a walk. If I try to give it more than 1/2 throttle it floods out or something and dies if I don't back off the gas. I could really use some advice now... I've been reading the other posts here and noticed that others have the same problem. Is this just a Spree Thing that happens?
So, what else can I do to "fix" this problem?
Attachments
My photos012.jpg
My photos012.jpg (19.56 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
1986 Spree
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 86' Spree dies past half throttle...

Post by Bear45-70 »

I would suspect a fuel delivery issue but flooding is not it. If anything it is too lean. Is the air filter box, hose, etc. in place and sealed up as designed, with an good air filter in place? If not, there is your problem.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreedemon
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreedemon »

Yes, as far as I can tell the air filter box and hose are attached correctly... and I re-oiled the filter last week... it was pretty clean already but thought it wouldn't hurt to do it. So too lean meaning too much air or too little? I'm kinda new to the Spree stuff/small engines.
1986 Spree
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Lean or rich always refers the amount of fuel. So lean means not enough fuel and too much air. This can be caused by a vacuum (air) leak or the lack of fuel.

Too much air;

Carb isolator installed back wards or upside down or "o"ring on carb or isolator/space torn or missing. Bad gasket at intake/reed block/engine block connection. Loose or leaking air cleaner or connection to the carb.

To little fuel; (and I think this is your issue) partially plugged filter in gas tank, partially obstructed petcock or fuel line (new fuel lines are a good idea on these old scooters (I prefer clear fuel and vacuum lines). Low float level in the carb, partially plugged main jet or emulsion tube above the jet.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Spreedemon
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreedemon »

Thanks for the tips...and the lesson :2thumbs: I'll check them out and hope it's something easy :smile: Think I'll replace the hoses anyway... I don't know how long they've been on there, but I'm sure it's been over 5 years. *, they might be Stock for all I know :lol:
1986 Spree
Spreedemon
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreedemon »

I don't care what anyone else says about you, Bear... you are knowledgeable and patient with ppl who don't know *. It was the Hose from the air filter... it was not getting a good seal. Got it sealed and was able to hit 30-35 at full throttle :bowrofl: :worship: :woot: Thanks for your help - I know it was a basic thing, but you made me look twice at it and that's when I saw it...so... :2thumbs: Thanks
1986 Spree