Electrical problem....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Electrical problem....

Post by e-Pirate »

Ok, headlights don't work, and the brakes are illuminated as if i'm braking, even when I'm not. :*:

What do?
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Electrical problem....

Post by odinxxix »

is the scooter running while this is happening? if so maybe the headlite is burned out. and the handle is probably out of adjustment, push forward on the handles and see if the brake lite turns off.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

odinxxix wrote:is the scooter running while this is happening? if so maybe the headlite is burned out. and the handle is probably out of adjustment, push forward on the handles and see if the brake lite turns off.

Its always off, running or not, and the bulb is known good. And by out of adjustment, do you mean they're not touching the little connectors?
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

e-Pirate wrote:
odinxxix wrote:is the scooter running while this is happening? if so maybe the headlite is burned out. and the handle is probably out of adjustment, push forward on the handles and see if the brake lite turns off.

Its always off, running or not, and the bulb is known good. And by out of adjustment, do you mean they're not touching the little connectors?

Did it ever work? Check wiring, switch ? Headlight Plug have power to it?
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

martynkim wrote:
e-Pirate wrote:

Did it ever work? Check wiring, switch ? Headlight Plug have power to it?

It was reeeeeeally dim when I first got it, but now it doesnt work. At the time I thought it was the bulb, but I tested it and the bulb is fine.

And wiring seems ok so far, i'm still browsing the wiring diagram right now.
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

Just a quick question...

I can start the scooter, then disconnect the battery and the scooter still runs. So does this mean my alternator is in working order?
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The scooter should run with or without the battery, since the battery only starts the scooter and runs the tail, brake, instrument lights and turn signals. The ignition has it's own section of the alternator that supplies voltage to the CDI.

You brake light issue points to a bad brake switch. Either stuck on or shorted. In either case pull the plastics on the handle bars and disconnect the brake switches one at a time. When the light goes out, you found the bad switch.

The headlight is driven by it's own section of the alternator and runs off AC voltage. There are only 3 things in the circuit. The alternator, that would be the white wire, the headlight switch and the headlight. You can check the alternator winding with an ohm meter. The same applies to the switch. The only other thing in the circuit is wires.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

Bear45-70 wrote:The scooter should run with or without the battery, since the battery only starts the scooter and runs the tail, brake, instrument lights and turn signals. The ignition has it's own section of the alternator that supplies voltage to the CDI.

You brake light issue points to a bad brake switch. Either stuck on or shorted. In either case pull the plastics on the handle bars and disconnect the brake switches one at a time. When the light goes out, you found the bad switch.

The headlight is driven by it's own section of the alternator and runs off AC voltage. There are only 3 things in the circuit. The alternator, that would be the white wire, the headlight switch and the headlight. You can check the alternator winding with an ohm meter. The same applies to the switch. The only other thing in the circuit is wires.

In that case, both brake switches are out. Any way to rebuild them or will I have to get new ones?

Also, as far as the alternator goes, would you suggest replacing it?
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

Ok for the brake lights.

I was just tinkering with those switches, one of them doesnt like to return when you pull the brake, the other has a loose wire coming from it.

Thanks for the tip, I thought it had something to do with the tail light at first, like a series circuit. :lol:
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Before you go replacing anything, test it. The stator coils are easily ohms tested and the specs are in the service manual. While testing, wiggle the wires and see if that shows something bad. These alternators are stupid simple. A stationary set of coils with magnets on the inside of the flywheel whizzing by to incite voltage in the coils. All that can go wrong is a wire breaks, or shorts across the coil or a magnet comes loose, but that's when it gets real messy.

I have never been a fan of salvaging brake switches. They are cheap and having someone run over you because your brake lights don't work right just isn't worth it.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
e-Pirate
Goped
Goped

Post by e-Pirate »

Bear45-70 wrote:Before you go replacing anything, test it. The stator coils are easily ohms tested and the specs are in the service manual. While testing, wiggle the wires and see if that shows something bad. These alternators are stupid simple. A stationary set of coils with magnets on the inside of the flywheel whizzing by to incite voltage in the coils. All that can go wrong is a wire breaks, or shorts across the coil or a magnet comes loose, but that's when it gets real messy.

I have never been a fan of salvaging brake switches. They are cheap and having someone run over you because your brake lights don't work right just isn't worth it.

Yeah I'll check on the wires a lil closer. My multi is broken, so all I have is the continuity tester portion of it. And its beeping from ground to white and yellow. But I might test it with a good multi at work tomorrow.

And i'll probably replace both switch panels. Its $10 on ebay for a new brake switch, but I'm sure someone's got a set of the full switch panel for about the same. And my left side switch panel is all messed up anyways.
SWAG
1984 Honda Spree
1985 Honda Gyro S
1977 Honda Camino
1960 Alpa Moor
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
2002 BMW 330xi