help with testing carb bystarter on a spree & gyro

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

86SPREEE
Noob
Noob

help with testing carb bystarter on a spree & gyro

Post by 86SPREEE »

got a 85 gyro and 86 spree both with the carb bystarter- how do you test these to make sure their working? I was told both bikes have the same bystarter and told the gyros maybe bad . Is their a way to test without a meter? :peace: :coolcruise:
86SPREEE
Noob
Noob

Re: help with testing carb bystarter on a spree & gyro

Post by 86SPREEE »

i did try to check ohms with a meter- i think i did it correct. it reads o -- i even set needle on meter to 4 and both bystarters read 4 which tells me theirs 0 resistance? the only setting my meter has is 1k for the ohms- is their another way to double check before i order a new one since both are possible saying their inop/

i heard u can check if needle moves by taking a 12v battery and hooking bystarter to it- didnt try it yet afraid i would short the bystarter- thanks guys
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

-- No meter testing --
You can remove the bystarter, and measure the needle extension. Apply 12v dc, wait several minutes, and the needle should extend by a small amount.

-- Meter measurement problem --
Your meter sounds to be an analog meter.

With the "R x 1k" scale, there is not enough resolution to read the 10 ohms or so of the bystarter coil. Ignore the mark ups on the photo, but observe the meter scale for Ohms at the top. On a "R x 1k" scale, 1000 ohms is about where the lower right hand corner of the blue rectangle. Meter graticule 'sub-tick's are 200 ohms each. 10 ohms not able to be resolved. Parallax error between the meter needle and scale is more than that.

86SPREEE
Noob
Noob

Post by 86SPREEE »

thanks for the suggestion- i put both on a battery- noticed the housings got warm and the slide around the needle did move foward after a min - let it cool and both returned to normal cool posistion-thanks again
Smooooth
BMX
BMX

Post by Smooooth »

Unfortunately, from experience, I learned that not all Bystarters are the same.

Someone had installed the wrong sized one in my 85 Elite 125 that caused all sorts of starting and idling issues. Although it tested good via both the resistance and 12v tests.

There are different lengths.

I do not know much about the the 2 you are asking about - never had to touch the one in my 86 Spree.

For instance:

Type bystarter length*, cold bystarter length*, hot
CH80 2.727" 2.902"
CH125/CH150 3.285" 3.442"
CH250/Helix 3.480" 3.652"

Stephen
85 Elite Deluxe - Nassau Blue Metallic - Wife's
86 Spree Special - Shasta White/Lollipop Green - For my wife, originally
74 CT70 K3 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Mutt' - In progress
72 CT70 K1 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Factory Flaw' - Back Burner
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Smooth -- Thanks for posting your bystarter measurements!

Gyro folks have been without exact by part number replacements for many years. Spree bystarter works ok with slight harnessing mods (wire length and connector if from a late model Spree).

Unfortunately, from experience, I learned that not all Bystarters are the same.

Someone had installed the wrong sized one in my 85 Elite 125 that caused all sorts of starting and idling issues. Although it tested good via both the resistance and 12v tests.
Some aftermarket 'clone' bystarters said to work on our 50 cc Honda scooters have caused some users (including me) problems like that.