Stripped crankshaft

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bartle90
BMX
BMX

Stripped crankshaft

Post by bartle90 »

I was out riding on my elite yesterday and the drive face seems to have completely stripped my crankshaft. I was wondering what would cause this to happen, I dont wanna put a new crank shaft in there to have this happen again.

Also if you guys have a crankshaft for a 98 sa50p elite that you wanna sell let me know, i'm on a very tight budget and am looking for a used one.

I was thinking maybe I could just replace the left shaft but i'm not sure that will be easy...

Thanks a lot
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Stripped crankshaft

Post by Bear45-70 »

Either the variator was not seated properly when the nut was tightened, there by damaging the splines or the nut came loose.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bartle90
BMX
BMX

Post by bartle90 »

sounds about right
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

ask spreetard about that :bowrofl:
DandyDan
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by DandyDan »

Sometimes when this happens the crank appears worse that it is. The drive face is made from softer metal than the crankshaft, so when this strips out (usually as a result of a loose variator nut) the softer metal can fill the splines in the crank and make it appear that the splines are destroyed when they are really just filled in with softer metal.

I had this happen one a Ruckus crankshaft once when the variator nut came a bit loose and the variator wobbled until it stripped. The drive face was destroyed and I thought the crank was toast because the splines were pretty much gone. It turned out that the splines were just filled with the softer metal which I was able to scrape out and then the crank actually looked pretty darn good again and worked fine after that. I used an awl tool from a Leatherman type knife to clean out the splines, but I'm sure you could think of a few ways to do it.
Sweet site with info on Honda's and tons of other scooters: http://www.MotorScooterGuide.net