Carburator fills with oil on my 87' Elite SE50.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

Carburator fills with oil on my 87' Elite SE50.

Post by CrazyboutScooters »

:cry: I have the 87' Honda elite SE50 and the carburator keeps filling with oil. Repair shop wasnt sure what is wrong thinks it my be fuel injector? As soon as they clean carb it runs great then few days later same old thing happens. Brothers Powersports says its not worth fixing. :cry: I absolutely adore it. Im low income and already sunk alot on this, before found out cant fix. It has I think under 2k miles on it. Its in great shape, but stored for years improperly, only 3 years of it outside and covered loosely. I splurged on a scooter from GS Motorworks a few years ago and now have a $1400 parking lot ornament. Can anyone help me save my baby, the honda? Im almost twice the weight limit for the bike and worried that I killed it. :sad:
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S
PolarIce
Spree
Spree

Re: Carburator fills with oil on my 87' Elite SE50.

Post by PolarIce »

CrazyboutScooters wrote::cry: I have the 87' Honda elite SE50 and the carburator keeps filling with oil. Repair shop wasnt sure what is wrong thinks it my be fuel injector? As soon as they clean carb it runs great then few days later same old thing happens. Brothers Powersports says its not worth fixing. :cry: I absolutely adore it. Im low income and already sunk alot on this, before found out cant fix. It has I think under 2k miles on it. Its in great shape, but stored for years improperly, only 3 years of it outside and covered loosely. I splurged on a scooter from GS Motorworks a few years ago and now have a $1400 parking lot ornament. Can anyone help me save my baby, the honda? Im almost twice the weight limit for the bike and worried that I killed it. :sad:
Hmmm. Well first off there is no fuel injector just the carburetor. I guess your oil pump could be out of whack, have you checked for loose lines?
1984 Honda NN50 Gyro
1986? Honda Aero 50
PolarIce=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Pola ... WAGB-11%29
Served Onboard 94-97
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

its probly varnish from sitting out side you must drain and rinse out the tank with a solvent
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
hopefully nh80 powered soon!
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

CrazyboutScooters wrote::cry: I have the 87' Honda elite SE50 and the carburator keeps filling with oil. Repair shop wasnt sure what is wrong thinks it my be fuel injector? As soon as they clean carb it runs great then few days later same old thing happens. Brothers Powersports says its not worth fixing. :cry: I absolutely adore it. Im low income and already sunk alot on this, before found out cant fix. It has I think under 2k miles on it. Its in great shape, but stored for years improperly, only 3 years of it outside and covered loosely. I splurged on a scooter from GS Motorworks a few years ago and now have a $1400 parking lot ornament. Can anyone help me save my baby, the honda? Im almost twice the weight limit for the bike and worried that I killed it. :sad:
Find a different mechanic right away!

Take a picture of your oil/gas/vacuum lines so we can see if they are in the correct spots.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

Im a female who is scared to open it all up and get it back together again. If I can get the covers off I will get some pictures on here. I cant be sure but think they did say fuel injector which didnt sound right to me. They are unfortunetly the best repair in the area. :nervous: I didnt know they had sites like this to help. If I can get detailed instructions for a newb I wouldnt mind fixing it up myself! But is it worth keeping it if Im so much heavier than the weight limit for the bike?

I also broke the kickstart. :( It only goes half way down.

I have someone that wants to buy it for $300. But I hate the idea of getting rid of it! Cant afford to get another.

Is it inexpensive to replace the oil injector?
Thank you for any help.
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S
CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

I havent tried it since its been stored outside.
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S
bc117
Spree
Spree

Post by bc117 »

it should not cost any money except for maybe new gas if you do this your self and if traffic jams is right and you oil line is in the wrong place it will be very easy and you wont need to drain anything
1985 aero 50
ported
custom exhaust
ruckus vario
1K polini clutch springs
hopefully nh80 powered soon!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

If these guys are the best in the area, your area needs a whole bunch of new mechanics. Someone did something wrong while working on it to cause this. Oh and there is oil injection no fuel injection but it can't fill the carb with oil if plumbed right.

The oil injector line is not even suppose to go to the carb, it goes to the intake manifold so there is no way to get oil in the carb unless someone screwed up. I suspect the mechanics that can't fix it.

As TJ said picks and we can get this fixed for you.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Being female is irrelevant except perhaps for self-esteem issues and poor judgment in "mechanics".. You have functional eyes, you can evidently read, and if you hav
e most of your fingers and are not averse to getting them dirty then you can fix this.

Your oil pump is leaking. That can happen when rubber seals age for 24 years. They get brittle, shrink or crack.

The oil tank sits higher than the carb. Oil flows downhill past the leaky pump seals and fills the intake tract. It's not rocket science.

You'll need a few cheap tools: a couple of hemostats to clamp the hoses . A pair of needle nose pliers to remove the hose clamps. Some muscle to pull the hoses off the pump barbs. An 8mm socket to remove the pump bracket. The pump just pulls off.
Two 12mm open-end wrenches to adjust the pump cable, if so equipped.
A used replacement pump someone here can sell you if you wish to remain Stock.

There is an option to replace the pump with a special plug, cap the barb on the manifold or carb and then premix your oil in the fuel tank. I suspect you'll prefer to replace the pump and leave it as is.

Look in Service Manuals section under SE50 or Aero. The '87 model shares a nearly identical engine.

Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

:hi: :worship: OH THANK YOU SO MUCH ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!! Each time I would want to ride her after being stored I would get a full tune-up, costing alot. She wouldnt usually run any better and was burning more and more oil. Believe me if I knew of a better plance I would have gladly taken her there to get fixed! I have all the tools except the clamps and would gladly get them to get her going again. I didnt realize til years later that new scooters have a break in period and cant be ridden at full speed yet, so she was never broke in properly. I rode her normally. Did this do permanent damage.

Is it alright to ride her when I weigh 115 lbs more than max weight limit. I dont want to kill the poor thing! :?:
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S
CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

Does anyone know about how to fix my kickstarter? It only goes half way down now. I dont know what I did wrong. Happened when using the kickstart. :?
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Kickstarter fix:

1. Download the Service Manual as suggested above.
2. Look at the diagrams and photos and read the Disassembly instructions.
3. Go to Harbor Freight Tools and pick up a quarter-inch drive socket set plus any tools in the manual you don't already have.
4. Pull the belt cover and proceed as instructions advise. You may get lucky and find that it just needs a cleaning and grease.
Worst case, you'll need a couple of parts. Depress the kicker gently until the reassembled gears engage, then Push through in the future.

Break-in procedure is good to follow. Since it still runs, evidently no great harm done.

We get that you're heavy. Yes that puts additional load on the chassis and engine. The Factory weight limits are required by law, but there is some Fudge Factor. Lots of really big guys ride these things, sometimes two up.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I've been riding my 1985 Spree since 1985 and at that time I was 30 lbs. over the max. Now I'm 115 over the max limit and I still ride that same Spree. I don't think it is an issue you need to worry about.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

Thank you all! Its still very cold here so have to wait until it warms up to work on her. Im looking forward to fixing her! Since shes been sitting for 3yrs since "supposed" tune-up so what would you suggest I clean and fix. Im not looking forward to the carburator clean. Can you use computer compressed air cans to blow in the carb after its cleaned? I read where you need to do it to get everything good and clean. Thanks for taking the time to respond to what Im sure are newbie questions.
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S
CrazyboutScooters
Noob
Noob

Do I need to make any adjustments to my scooter, when I get it running again, because I live in a very hilly area. Alot of them are steep that I would be using often, unavoidably. Is there anything to make them less a strain on engine, etc. Thanks
C.R.S.

Cant
Remember
Sh*t

87' Honda Elite 50S