2001 Elite No Electric Wont Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

shortcal
Goped
Goped

2001 Elite No Electric Wont Start

Post by shortcal »

So last fall I was riding and the moped abruptly died. After messing with it for a while today this is what Ive got. The oil light which is always on after plugging the oil pump only comes on when i jiggle the left break handle. When I pull the break handle in the light goes off and the electric no longer works. So could someone explain how the electrical system is somehow tied into the rear break handle?
2001 Honda Elite
litninrod
Noob
Noob

Re: 2001 Elite No Electric Wont Start

Post by litninrod »

The brake lever is connected to a ground wire, which is common throughout the whole scooter. Maybe a short in the lever wiring is causing the whole electrical system to short out? To test, I'd swap plugs on the 2 brake handles. If squeezing the right lever now does the same thing as the left did, the short is in the harness. If it doesn't have the problem anymore, then you need to look at the wiring from the plug to the left lever or replace the left lever assembly.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The brake lever is connected to a ground wire, which is common throughout the whole scooter. Maybe a short in the lever wiring is causing the whole electrical system to short out?
No - time to bring a diagram out. Brake switches are not switching ground for the tail light. The brake switch is the +12v side.

The oil switch switches the ground side of the indicator.

*If there were a short between the brake switch wire to oil level switch*, AND *the oil level was low enough the oil switch were closed* it would put a direct short to ground of the +12v switched battery. That might pop the fuse.

--- For the original poster
If your fuse is not blowing with the left lever pull, there may be other problems.
How's your electrical system in general?
Do your turn signals work? If you pull the Right rather than Left lever, does your brake light light strongly?
Attachments
BrakeLever_And_OilSwitch.jpg
BrakeLever_And_OilSwitch.jpg (75.09 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
shortcal
Goped
Goped

Post by shortcal »

Like I said the electrical stuff seems to work if i jiggle the handle a bit. The horn will work faintly (battery is low after winter storage) but you can hear it honk. Its just as soon as I pull the handle back in it stops working again and I will have to re jiggle the handle to get it to work again.
2001 Honda Elite