98 Elite S Big Bore problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 98 Elite S Big Bore problems

Post by fastplastic »

JJ Joseph wrote: 60mph after a few mods to the belt & pulleys.
:crazy: :confused: :jack: yah sure and your motor revs to 20,000 rpms too i bet :jack: :sad: :crazy: .... i know my dio spree would make you look dumb and only with a 72cc :thumbwink:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

808BMW wrote: As far as the boost port goes, yes it does bolt on without any case mods. I still have a stock tiny boost port on my block, with a huge 50mm bore on top of it. Sure, matching the boost port would be nice, but I didn't do it.
Yeah it is probably not 100% necessary to run, but JJ has an af18 block that has a bigger boost port to begin with, and is telling af16 owners to just slap it on there with the stock oil pump. :nervous:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Hold up there Pards! If the boost ports don't match, then the Base gasket isn't compressed from both sides. It becomes a Kazoo with possible/probable Massive Air Leakage! Really Bad Idea. Don't do this thing.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

808BMW wrote:Wow JJ, you are spewing out lots of misinformation. Care to post a pic of this adjuster on the oil pump? I've never heard of or seen this adjustable oil pump. Or better yet, just post up a video of you doing 60mph on a stock geared dio block.
See the page from the Dio FSM below. Item (4) is the adjuster:
808BMW wrote:As far as the boost port goes, yes it does bolt on without any case mods. I still have a stock tiny boost port on my block, with a huge 50mm bore on top of it. Sure, matching the boost port would be nice, but I didn't do it.
Wait a minute! Sounds like you did just what I did: bolt it on without any case mods and drive it. Isn't that what I was saying?
Attachments
dio_oil_pump_from_FSM.jpg
dio_oil_pump_from_FSM.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Wheelman-111 wrote: If the boost ports don't match, then the Base gasket isn't compressed from both sides. It becomes a Kazoo with possible/probable Massive Air Leakage! Really Bad Idea. Don't do this thing.
I don't know what you're looking at, but on all the Dios I've seen, this isn't a problem if you're using the proper gasket. See the photo below which is a 50mm jug with the correct 50mm (yellow) gasket. Trafficjamz above is showing a 49cc gasket on an 80cc jug and it obviously will leak. He's also got a wierd crankcase with a raised lip around the edge of the crankcase opening. The Dios around here have a flat cylinder deck so the 80cc jug seals perfectly. Looks like you guys are working with bogus parts. Bad luck! If I were you, I'd ask for my money back and start again with some decent parts. The 80cc BBK should plop right on with no complications at all.
dio_50mm_BBK_boost_side.jpg
dio_50mm_BBK_boost_side.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

better yet explain your 60mph on stock gears?
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

JJ Joseph wrote:
808BMW wrote:As far as the boost port goes, yes it does bolt on without any case mods. I still have a stock tiny boost port on my block, with a huge 50mm bore on top of it. Sure, matching the boost port would be nice, but I didn't do it.
Wait a minute! Sounds like you did just what I did: bolt it on without any case mods and drive it. Isn't that what I was saying?
Yes, but the other parts about 60mph on stock gears, or adjusting the oil pump and not premixing are both crazy ideas.

BTW, cranking that adjustment nut on the cable is the exact same as holding it wide open with a zip-ty, which helps but is not enough.
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

JJ Joseph wrote:He's also got a wierd crankcase with a raised lip around the edge of the crankcase opening. The Dios around here have a flat cylinder deck so the 80cc jug seals perfectly. Looks like you guys are working with bogus parts. Bad luck! If I were you, I'd ask for my money back and start again with some decent parts. The 80cc BBK should plop right on with no complications at all.
You just don't get it, sure the 80cc bbk should and does plop right on but it's half-assed and not recommended on an af16. And the oil pump adjusting nut is used to align the mark and index mark for a 50cc not 80cc :crazy:.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

evilone wrote:You just don't get it, sure the 80cc bbk should and does plop right on but it's half-assed and not recommended on an af16. And the oil pump adjusting nut is used to align the mark and index mark for a 50cc not 80cc
Looks to me like you've run out of excuses when you're reduced to saying it's "half-assed"! Says who? Somebody who fixes lawnmowers? It's not "full-race" tune, but it's good enough to get the job done. I got my information from trained scooter tuners in Taiwan, and my Dio can keep up with the highway traffic, both in acceleration and top speed. And it's run like that for over 6000 miles, no problems except the belts wear out quicker than before, and the stock brakes are weak for high-speed ops. Nobody's produced any evidence that the oil pump doesn't work, but I've got clear results that it does work. Maybe you guys are just getting bad advice.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Sounds like my lawnmower tech gives better advice than your trained scooter tuners from taiwan :confused:.
I'm done with this thread :crazy:.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

JJ Joseph wrote:my Dio can keep up with the highway traffic, both in acceleration and top speed.
yeah 25 mile an hour zones sure maybe 35 zones and if theres a hill a 40... your head is so far up ur own butt you have no idea about gears, gear ratios, and just plain 2 stroke motors you FAIL :2thumbs:
SpreeMadness520
Elite
Elite

Post by SpreeMadness520 »

fastplastic wrote:
JJ Joseph wrote:my Dio can keep up with the highway traffic, both in acceleration and top speed.
yeah 25 mile an hour zones sure maybe 35 zones and if theres a hill a 40... your head is so far up ur own butt you have no idea about gears, gear ratios, and just plain 2 stroke motors you FAIL :2thumbs:
:woot:
130cc Stroker
1984 Porsche 944
1965 Vespa
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

So how exactly does 60mph on stock gears works?

What RPM's are you turning to get that speed?
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Trafficjamz wrote:
JJ Joseph wrote:The variable rate set-up has plenty of oil for an 80cc BBK.
Also not true. The sa50 oil pump opened all the way can deliver oil at a 50:1 ratio at best.
32:1 or at the very least 40:1 seems to be the norm on 72cc and bigger.
I'm out of here, too. But before signing off, I'd like to show the last place where you where you're guessing at the facts, and that's using the Dio oil pump. Or not using it and switching to premix. Almost every stroker crank you can buy for a Dio has the drive gear to drive the stock oil pump. This shows the engineers have determined that the stock oil pump can handle the big bore/stroke combinations. If you look at the full-tilt race cranks for Dios, they DON'T have the pump drive gear. Which means the oil pump isn't enough to handle 125cc and 12,000rpm. But for street use, up to 100cc BBK strokers, the stock oil pump is recommended, at least by the guys who design the BBKs and the stroker cranks . Here's the evidence:
Attachments
dio_stroker_cranks.jpg
dio_stroker_cranks.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

JJ Joseph wrote:
Trafficjamz wrote:
JJ Joseph wrote:The variable rate set-up has plenty of oil for an 80cc BBK.
Also not true. The sa50 oil pump opened all the way can deliver oil at a 50:1 ratio at best.
32:1 or at the very least 40:1 seems to be the norm on 72cc and bigger.
I'm out of here, too. But before signing off, I'd like to show the last place where you where you're guessing at the facts, and that's using the Dio oil pump. Or not using it and switching to premix. Almost every stroker crank you can buy for a Dio has the drive gear to drive the stock oil pump. This shows the engineers have determined that the stock oil pump can handle the big bore/stroke combinations. If you look at the full-tilt race cranks for Dios, they DON'T have the pump drive gear. Which means the oil pump isn't enough to handle 125cc and 12,000rpm. But for street use, up to 100cc BBK strokers, the stock oil pump is recommended, at least by the guys who design the BBKs and the stroker cranks . Here's the evidence:
I'm not guessing at anything. A test was set up to measure the output of the stock pump, and it was NOT 32:1.

Since the stock oil pump can not supply that amount of oil, I choose to premix.

I have seen mini strokers with the oil pump gears.....but most full strokers do not have it.

But JJ, I want to know how to go 60mph on stock gears?