My First Dio :) ?? 1998 Elite SR?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Re: My First Dio :) ?? 1998 Elite SR?

Post by Ricerider »

Poor mans moped is almost done, still under $150 invested, hopefully will give me summers of dependable riding,
after all it is a honda. Tryed to make the best of it with missing all the plastic.
Ordered new rear brake shoes off ebay, I was testing the rear brake on
the stand and suddenly then brake went to the handlebar. Pulled it apart and the asbestos had turned to mush.
I dont think the bystarter is closing all the way, seems to run a bit rich on idle. I would like to
replace the whole carb but the honda ones are expensive. Anyone tryed one of those el cheapos off ebay?

lmao got the girlfriend out to help clean up the frame before painting
Attachments
03191819.jpg
03191819.jpg (179.92 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
03191820.jpg
03191820.jpg (190.7 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
03161711.jpg
03161711.jpg (195.14 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
01 SA50 72cc Malossi/Ct Intake/28mm OKO Carb #130 main
PG Long/9:1gears/RuimaVar8G/1.5K springs
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Another one saved from the dead. :thumbwink:
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

Opened up the clutch today to change to a 1k torque spring and the clutch pads are shot. I went to the local chinese scooter shop and they had a gy6 50cc clutch that looked the same but the pulley was bigger. Picked it up for $15 and put it on my elite with the stock gy6 spring, worked really nice... I wanted to post this just in case no one knew that they fit just fine.

The gy6 pulley is a bit larger but it not seem to change takeoff performance at all, although the elite belt rides lower on the gy6 clutch.

The "engage clutch" from the gy6 does fit the elite pulley.
The gy6 clutch bell will not fit the elite shaft, so I just used my stock bell.

My final product was the stock elite pulley, gy6 engage clutch and 1k torque spring. Works perfect...

I also pulled the variator apart and found the weights are worn flat. Only thing I had around were 16x13 7g weights.
Put them in but I really cant get it past 35mph.... Im thinkin maybe 8G or 9G would get me to 40.

What are you guys running on stock machines? There arent really any hills where I ride...
Anyone know the stock weights for a '98 elite sr?

JB
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dunno 'bout the '98, but the 2001 stock rollers were 8.5g. '87 Aero came with 10s.
Lightening by a little shouldn't affect top speed too much, but if more than a gram lighter the stock-ish engine will rev past its power peak before the belt gets close to the rim of the Drive Face.
A stiffer center spring only makes it worse. You lose some variator "overdrive, hence lower top speed. Try some 8-ish rollers.
I may have a set. PM if you want.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Ricerider wrote: I would like to replace the whole carb but the honda ones are expensive. Anyone tryed one of those el cheapos off ebay?
You don't want to be swapping your carb at this point. Almost always, the Honda carburetor can be saved. Dismantle the whole thing and soak everything (but NOT the neoprene gaskets) in toluene (lacquer thinner or carb cleaner) for 2 days. Toluene is only $7 at Home depot. It's way better than acetone. All the crud will brush off easily afterward, and the thing will look like new. Blow out the jets & the choke jet with a blast of WD-40 if you don't have compressed air. If you accidentally soak the neoprene gaskets, they swell up about 3 sizes and won't fit. But don't worry: they'll shrink back to size after several days.

Don't discard your oil pump. It's worth more than the entire bike and it's a good unit. If the Y-cable is toast, it can be restored with Cable Life. Or buy a new one from the Honda dealer. You'll for sure get your money back when you sell the scoot after you're done with it.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

:jack:
JJ Joseph wrote:
Ricerider wrote: I would like to replace the whole carb but the honda ones are expensive. Anyone tryed one of those el cheapos off ebay?
You don't want to be swapping your carb at this point. Almost always, the Honda carburetor can be saved. Dismantle the whole thing and soak everything (but NOT the neoprene gaskets) in toluene (lacquer thinner or carb cleaner) for 2 days. Toluene is only $7 at Home depot. It's way better than acetone. All the crud will brush off easily afterward, and the thing will look like new. Blow out the jets & the choke jet with a blast of WD-40 if you don't have compressed air. If you accidentally soak the neoprene gaskets, they swell up about 3 sizes and won't fit. But don't worry: they'll shrink back to size after several days.

Don't discard your oil pump. It's worth more than the entire bike and it's a good unit. If the Y-cable is toast, it can be restored with Cable Life. Or buy a new one from the Honda dealer. You'll for sure get your money back when you sell the scoot after you're done with it.
Ricerider
Spree
Spree

Post by Ricerider »

I did end up sticking with the stock carb, and plugging the bystarter, Those d*** things never work right anyway.
Oil pump was plugged using the "change fix" and I run 32:1 klotz R50. Run the same stuff in my yz250 and never been let down, been running this stuff after I blew up a IT250 a few years back dragging against a KDX400, man that sucks when you hear the breaings start to make noise...

The stock oil pumps are nice if you have a stock machine, but why chance it with a bbk? theres too many things to go wrong even thou its a gear driven pump, I want to be SURE my engine gets oil...

Its was hard at first changing eveything knowing that it will never be the same as it was stock, and im sure the value has gone down due to the mods, but I like it and plan to keep it for a long time? Whats better then Elite? They are the last of the good two strokes
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Ricerider wrote:I did end up sticking with the stock carb, and plugging the bystarter, Those d*** things never work right anyway.
Oil pump was plugged using the "change fix" and I run 32:1 klotz R50. Run the same stuff in my yz250 and never been let down, been running this stuff after I blew up a IT250 a few years back dragging against a KDX400, man that sucks when you hear the breaings start to make noise...

The stock oil pumps are nice if you have a stock machine, but why chance it with a bbk? theres too many things to go wrong even thou its a gear driven pump, I want to be SURE my engine gets oil...

Its was hard at first changing eveything knowing that it will never be the same as it was stock, and im sure the value has gone down due to the mods, but I like it and plan to keep it for a long time? Whats better then Elite? They are the last of the good two strokes
Oh, OK. Maybe you could throw away the air-filter, and drill a hole in the muffler, too. I heard a lot of guys say that's a pretty good mod.
fastplastic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by fastplastic »

JJ Joseph wrote:Oh, OK. Maybe you could throw away the air-filter, and drill a hole in the muffler, too. I heard a lot of guys say that's a pretty good mod.
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!! WARNING DO NOT DO THIS!... all this does is set your "seatopants" meter off!!!