SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Post by frenchiehxc »

ok... so. i bought an 85' spree off my dads buddy, its an amazing machine,.. but its not working!!!! it worked for about 5 minutes the day i bought it.. then it stopped running and the carb was leaking... i did my first ever carb job and it fixed it.. then i rode it about thirty miles and when i put it in the house for the night it wouldnt start again... ive been searching this forum for days looking for the answer,,

here is what i have done so far..
1) replaced spark plug, 2.replaced air filter, 3.completely cleaned the carb (took float and needle jet out and soaked in solution.) 4. replaced fuel filter, 5. stuck my finger in the spark plug hole to see if there was compression..(blew my finger in and out of the hole) the battery is old but i have a portable charge pack hooked up to it soit has full power.. i cant figure out whats wrong.. the screws on the side of the carb. it starts and runs for 5 seconds really low if i drain the float bowl and unscrew the bigger one on the side of the carb all the way (i think its the one that touches the throttle..) can someone pleaseeeeee help?!?!?!? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Re: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Post by frenchiehxc »

im seriously stumped.. there is sediment in the gas tank that i have noticed.. but the fuel filter had caught alot of it b4 i changed it.. so i dont beleivethats the problem..
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

If there is sediment in the tank i'd take care of that before going any further.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Feral_Sparky
Goped
Goped

Post by Feral_Sparky »

pull the petcock vacuum line off of the carb and suck on it, if fuel sucks into your mouth, your petcock is bad. Mine did this and it would not run properly until I replaced it. It would run like crap but once I unhooked the vacuum line it would run great until it ran out of fuel in the bowl.
1987 Honda Elite SE50
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Post by frenchiehxc »

which one do you mean? i have 2 hoses coming from the tank.. one goes into the carb and the other goes into the thing right b4 the carb. where it conects to the manifold. and how would i go about removing the sediment? i need this thing running by tuesday and i cant figure it out. where and how much is a petcock. and is there a pic you could show me?
85' Spree

Yamaha Razz
High Rev CDI
Un-Governed

Yamaha YT125 Tri-Moto
BBK
Fatboy exhaust
cool head
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Post by frenchiehxc »

i just went outside... now its starting,, but it only lasts a few seconds... like 15 seconds maybe?.. and the 2 screws are the side of the carb are doing nothing.. and when i screw the one with the spring on it in it just plain wont start.. it only runs when the one with the spring is almost all the way out... and i pulled the gas line with the filter off the carb and started it and it started spraying gas.. so i know that the fuel pump is working.. SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS!!! is it just worth it to bring it to a shop? and have them deal with it?... i just wana do this as cheap as possible... its my only meaNS OF TRANSPORTATION.
:*:
85' Spree

Yamaha Razz
High Rev CDI
Un-Governed

Yamaha YT125 Tri-Moto
BBK
Fatboy exhaust
cool head
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

frenchiehxc wrote:i just went outside... now its starting,, but it only lasts a few seconds... like 15 seconds maybe?.. and the 2 screws are the side of the carb are doing nothing.. and when i screw the one with the spring on it in it just plain wont start.. it only runs when the one with the spring is almost all the way out... and i pulled the gas line with the filter off the carb and started it and it started spraying gas.. so i know that the fuel pump is working.. SOMEONE PLEASE SOLVE THIS!!! is it just worth it to bring it to a shop? and have them deal with it?... i just wana do this as cheap as possible... its my only meaNS OF TRANSPORTATION.
:*:
Well if your fuel pump is working, then it should run. Maybe it is your valves......or maybe you are low on antifreeze. :smile:
:newb:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

frenchiehxc wrote:im seriously stumped.. there is sediment in the gas tank that i have noticed.. but the fuel filter had caught alot of it b4 i changed it.. so i dont beleivethats the problem..

Clean all of the rusty crap out of you gas tank......get a new filter........then re-clean your carb.

There is a filter in the gas tank that is probably caked with rust.

Take it out if you have an in line filter. :wink:
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Post by frenchiehxc »

there is no antifreeze?.. i dont think so anyways. but how would i go about emptying the tank and cleaning it? i have really no chemicals other than carb cleaner wd40 and water.. could i just flush it with water?? and what would it matter if the filter in the tank is covered in rust?.. the fuel is flowing out generously when i disconnect the hose and crank the engine.. that wasnt said in a sarcarstic manor btw.. lol just curious..
85' Spree

Yamaha Razz
High Rev CDI
Un-Governed

Yamaha YT125 Tri-Moto
BBK
Fatboy exhaust
cool head
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Post by frenchiehxc »

im also noticing that the brand new spark plug that ive put in has some oil on it when i removed it.. is this bad??? or normal? its not coveredddd per say but it does have trace ammounts of it
85' Spree

Yamaha Razz
High Rev CDI
Un-Governed

Yamaha YT125 Tri-Moto
BBK
Fatboy exhaust
cool head
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

There is no fuel pump either. The light grey thing on the bottom of the tank with to hoses off it is an automatic petcock. The lower line sense manifold vacuum and opens the valve when there is vacuum. I think you have a dirty carb.

Follow these instructions;

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... r_Cleaning

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ture_Guide

http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... Valve_Seat
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

frenchiehxc wrote:there is no antifreeze?.. i dont think so anyways.
but how would i go about emptying the tank and cleaning it? i have really no chemicals other than carb cleaner wd40 and water.. could i just flush it with water?? and what would it matter if the filter in the tank is covered in rust?.. the fuel is flowing out generously when i disconnect the hose and crank the engine.. that wasnt said in a sarcarstic manor btw.. lol just curious..
Sorry....I was just razzing you a bit because you are new to this. There is no "fuel pump" either. :smile:

There is a filter in the gas tank That looks like this
take it out. Fill the tank with small rocks and water to shake out some rust.
Repeat this over and over until the water looks clear.

If the fuel is flowing "generously", the tank sediment may not be your problem.

:imo: Your carb's float level may be set incorrectly.
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Post by frenchiehxc »

i have cleaned the carberatur multipul times. like atleast 8 by now.. ive taken the bowl off and the float cleanwed all those parts, cleaned the needle valve and the jet pin thingy. it only runs when the throttle stop screw is all the way out and then it dies aftre 15 seconds
85' Spree

Yamaha Razz
High Rev CDI
Un-Governed

Yamaha YT125 Tri-Moto
BBK
Fatboy exhaust
cool head
frenchiehxc
Spree
Spree

Post by frenchiehxc »

and also ive looked at the float while it was in, it is parralel to the carbs body.. what the *!!! would replacing the carb make this process easier????
85' Spree

Yamaha Razz
High Rev CDI
Un-Governed

Yamaha YT125 Tri-Moto
BBK
Fatboy exhaust
cool head
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

frenchiehxc wrote:i have cleaned the carberatur multipul times. like atleast 8 by now.. ive taken the bowl off and the float cleanwed all those parts, cleaned the needle valve and the jet pin thingy. it only runs when the throttle stop screw is all the way out and then it dies aftre 15 seconds
It does that because the needle controlled by the float is not sealing against the seat in the carb, causing the float bowl to over fill and dump too much fuel into the intake. But then don't pay any attention to me, I was only a factory certified 2 stroke mechanic and no nothing about this stuff. Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree