heat issue any ideas?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

woodman
BMX
BMX

heat issue any ideas?

Post by woodman »

ok so my 84 spree runs sweet 30+ all day unless going uphill but.....on my home from work going downhill the belt which is new honda part slipped almost sounded like it popped off the clutch??? thats not all after i get almost home like the last mile or 2 of 13 at a light she stalls and wont restart wo wot pumps afew times gotta let it cool a bit too??i thought bad vacume so new hose and two small cable ties on each nipple for every hose but still low fuel delivery when its hot i do live in nc and on averege the heat index 3pm to 6pm when im on the road is98-101 so any ideas thanx in advance!!!!!!!!!
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: heat issue any ideas?

Post by bakaracer »

take the trans cover off and check to see if the belt is ok.check to see if anything broke in the clutch area like the spring or clutch.pull the lug and see what color it is. also do a compression check to see if the motor got hurt.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Best to look around before jumping to any conclusions.

How fast were you going down the hill?
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

And did you close the throttle while going down this hill or keep it twisted to WOT?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
woodman
BMX
BMX

Post by woodman »

wot all the way down kept up w traffic so i was goin at least 45mph belt looks worn but ok no time to check clutch gotta do it after werk but still why when she gets real hot why does she not stay runnin rite its only on my hot return trip from werk in the morning its fine?would mounting a computer fan inside the plastics aid in these humid and hot as u know what nc summer?? new bystarter? gonna clean carb thiss weekend cold be a part of my issue. thanks again folks im off to werk to do another 9 in the sun ima look mexican b4 the month is out
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Woodman Double-Posted:
wot all the way down kept up w traffic so i was goin at least 45mph
Hmm, nobody knows less than me about Sprees, but from what I've read it's hard to make a stock-ish Spree go anywhere near that fast, Hill, or No Hill. Cliff, maybe...

If Honda-san thought the Spree needed a computer fan under the skirts, he'd have installed one. There are warmer places on Earth than the Carolinas. You have an issue that you need to uncover.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
woodman
BMX
BMX

Post by woodman »

belive me wheelman i was shocked it was a 4 lane road and the hill is about 2 miles and a constant grade that in the last half mile gets about 20% steeper in pitch ive hit 30 on my bmx wifes mitsu speedo confirmed so keeping up w traffic for about 3/4 of a mile speed limit 45 and trust me folks round here dont go under the posted limit did happen and well was a shock even to me i dunno gonna try a colder plug and clean the carb a couple times . i checked for air leaks but to no avail for shure im gonna take in easy down hills for a while and still gotta check the clutch i swear these scooters are more than just transportation their more of a great hobby that gets you around the more i learn and do the more i like it.thanx for your input.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I've seen would should be 40+ indicated on the speedo, downhill at WOT. But it stabilizes and will not go faster, no matter how steel or long the hill is.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
woodman
BMX
BMX

Post by woodman »

well who knows perhaps the 3 cars i was keeping up with in the left lane were going under 45 unlikly but i wasent in their cars i was screaming downhill along side them for 30-45 seconds when zzzzzippop the belt goes i lay off the throttle it stabilizes and i stedily travel uphill slightly now ive passed the bottom of said hill at about 26 mph dunno what to tell you but uh thats my story and im stickin to it like i said earlier it shocked me never ever went that fast on my spree before 35-38 is my usual top end aside from this single exp. coming home on a record hot day.
woodman
BMX
BMX

Post by woodman »

well whatta ya know tighten up the carb and fix a broken airbox clip and..........whammo back to normal its really amazing what a small air leak will do....i thought that the speed i was reaching was high and im glad i dident thrash my jug that wouldent be ideal.