moped lights explode......rectifier???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Pancake808
Goped
Goped

moped lights explode......rectifier???

Post by Pancake808 »

My lights keep burning out waiting for rectifer from honda
But could it be something else??? Bike runs like a champ, and went through
The harness to check for trouble.

Could it be the batt or ignition switch???

82 express sr

With 125cc af16
220mm disk
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: moped lights explode......rectifier???

Post by Bear45-70 »

No, neither of those. The headlight is run by AC from the stator.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Rooney140
BMX
BMX

Post by Rooney140 »

If your signature is accurate you are running an 82 nx with af16 power?

I believe the nx has a "balanced" system, rectifying AC to DC to charge the battery but as long as all the lights are working there is no need for a regulator with the stock motor and alternator. The rectifier does not necessarily regulate voltage, just makes it usable to charge the DC battery.

The af16 in its original application utilizes an ac regulator / rectifier in one unit. While the nx alternator made just enough power to keep the head and taillights happy, the dio alternator is producing too much and relies on a regulator to keep from blowing bulbs. It should not be hard to graft in a spree/elite or chinese style regulator/rectifier to solve the problem.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Rooney140 wrote:If your signature is accurate you are running an 82 nx with af16 power?

I believe the nx has a "balanced" system, rectifying AC to DC to charge the battery but as long as all the lights are working there is no need for a regulator with the stock motor and alternator. The rectifier does not necessarily regulate voltage, just makes it usable to charge the DC battery.

The af16 in its original application utilizes an ac regulator / rectifier in one unit. While the nx alternator made just enough power to keep the head and taillights happy, the dio alternator is producing too much and relies on a regulator to keep from blowing bulbs. It should not be hard to graft in a spree/elite or chinese style regulator/rectifier to solve the problem.
OK, Ignore everything he said. He believe BS. A rectifier does not "necessarily" and never will regulate anything. It only changes AC to Pulsing DC. The regulator does the regulating. And just because the regulator and rectifier are in the same box means nothing. Oh and a "balanced" system does not and can not exist. The faster you spin the alternator the higher the output. Don't know much about physics or electricity, do you. :jack:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

So where is the problem???? How do I fix it??? Was running fine for a long time then it suddenly started doing this. The stator white wire runs to the rectifier and then out as a red wire. Which is shared by battery and to ignition. That is what runs the lights correct??? "Power"

So I should just put the elite rectifier in place of the express rectifier.??
If so the elite has 4 plug my express has 2 plug. Which 2 pins do I use ??
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

So I should replace rectifier and run. A regulator in line after rectifier???
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Replace the regulator, but do this to confirm:
Hook your multimeter to the headlamp circuit, and rev the engine, AC volts should not rise by much over 12v for max lamp life.

I've run tests on the rectifier/regulator, it does have an internal circuit to limit the average AC voltage to around 12v. If this part of the reg is failed, or a scooter is run w/o a regulator, all lamps run on AC will see reduced life.

Check the thread out here, and read about 'shunt' regulators.
Rooney140
BMX
BMX

Post by Rooney140 »

What I said is not BS, I offered an opinion, Pancake808 you decide what to believe.

Do you have a battery installed?

From memory the NX does not have a regulator. Balanced systems do exist, and have for a long time. Before regulators were cheap and reliable enough to put on everything, manufacturers relied on engineering balanced systems. Meaning that by design the alternator will not produce more than say 15.5 volts at max rpm to keep from blowing 12v bulbs. Without a regulator, the battery can absorb the excess voltage to a point. If your battery is not installed that voltage has to go somewhere, and is popping your bulbs. If your battery is there, I would say you need a regulator.

The 4 wire regulator/rectifier found on spree/elite and chinese scooters is a simple clean way of adding a regulator. There are also some cheap universal regulators available for off road bikes.

Your alt should have 4 wires, White, Yellow, Black/red and Blue/Yellow. Black/red and Blue/yellow are for the ignition system. The white wire gets rectified to charge the battery. The yellow wire is for the lights, you can install an AC regulator anywhere in the circuit to regulate lighting voltage.

Find a wiring diagram for your bike and compare it to the corresponding diagram. PM me if needed.
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

ROONEY140 what you said makes sense i will run a trail tech regulator inline as my nx50 sr does not have a regulator and only a rectifier and runs as a loop system using bulbs and battery to balance things, the new motor "AF16" is putting crazy amounts of power to the lights.
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

Still not fixed.....seem it would be easy but *.... white wire from stator runs to rectifier "no resister" runs tail and blinker lights then to battery. Yellow from stator runs head light . Tried to put trail tech ac regulator but no lights whil idle only while reved up a bit, its for ac current.

Any help out there, be specific ~ what wires, colors ect.... mahalo
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

So install a resister in the line and cut the voltage down.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

I did, it didn't work... ran in line before rectifier which is AC and lights didn't work. I am charging batt to see if it makes a diffrence. 2 wires on resistor one ylw and one brn. Put power stator wire to ylw resistor wire and then brn in line to other side. I made sure that was power, as while power was on lights worked, pulled the power wire and. No pwer to lights. ????? Is something not grounded?? Batt?? Or should I try to run power wire direct to batt the wire from batt to run all lights???right now one power wire goes to blinkers and tail "white" other power "ylw" goes to headlight....
Pancake808
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake808 »

Fixed it.....bought a manual and hooked up a sym dd50/elite rectifier/regulator.....
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Good work, thanks for posting!

With the AF16 engine swap you performed, I'm sure a fan of using the regulator from that system or similar as you did. It gets you to OEM proven technology with regulation on the lamp circuit, and matches up with my testing of what's going on. Rooney140 said very much the same, I suspect the guy is quite savvy to electricals in our scooters.

How about some pic's of your scooter and work?
Rooney140
BMX
BMX

Post by Rooney140 »

mousewheels wrote: I suspect the guy is quite savvy to electricals in our scooters.
Thanks Mousewheels, I don't claim to know everything, but I have been working on things with 2 wheels for a long time. I have been a member here for a long time too, but don't post much. It isn't rocket science and I try to help when I can share some experience, its a shame that good advice can be shot down due to a few typo's.

I have also used the Honda style 4 wire reg/rec in many projects, from dual sport conversions to replacing obsolete units on other bikes. I know it can handle at least 100 watts from an alternator which should be more than enough for most scooters. Honda has been installing that little finned box for almost 30 years and it still works.

I'm glad it worked out Pancake, you have a unique project there.