what piston should I get? (Spree)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

what piston should I get? (Spree)

Post by B-Nasty »

I just bought an 87 spree today. Its complete but wouldnt run. I tested the compression, only 70psi. I took the head, cyl/jug, and piston off. There is some pretty heavy scoring on the cylinder/jug wall and piston. The jug needs to be bored and piston replaced. So my questions are:
1. What should it cost to get my jug bored/re-sleeved (if its not scored too deep).
2. If it is scored too deep is there anywhere I can get a jug ready to go?
3. Where should I get the piston? Ive seen some on ebay- 41, 44, and 48mm piston kits by RIK? are these any good?
-I know I will have to wait to hear about my jug before I know what size piston to get.
4. Should I do anything about any metal shavings that may have fallen off the piston and/or jug into the crankcase? Change the oil?
5. Can I reuse the metal gasket between the head and jug?
6. There was no gasket between the jug and crankcase...what kind of gasket is supposed to be there?

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to getting this thing on the road!
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Re: what piston should I get?

Post by niftyman »

Buy the 48mm big bore kit , intake kit , and the gear set you may as well up grade it a bit if your gonna fit a new piston the kit is complete bolt on no need to get your cylnder bored out just throw it in the bin
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Oh yeah the seller is tazland001 here or chopchop123 on ebay
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

Post by B-Nasty »

how much does all that cost? I am trying to keep this project low cost. Do I need the intake kit and gear set or can I just get the big bore kit? I am not really concerned about performance.
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

no you dont necessarily need anything but the bore kit but to take advantage of hte extra power it produces you need the intake and gears but not necessary. chopchop123 on ebay has the 44mm kit for around 100

just checked he only has the 48mm and the 41mm (stock) right now. if your cylinder isnt in bad shape you could just have it honed and get the 41mm piston kit he has on there for 45 dollars :D
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

Post by B-Nasty »

cool I just looked the kit up on ebay and sent him a msg. Hopefully he has a 44mm kit....
Mystic
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Mystic »

if you do increase the bore size you may want to at least put a different main jet in there, more displacement means it needs a little extra fuel and maybe an oz of oil in the gas tank since hte stock oil pump wasnt made to support a larger bore just to be on the safe side :D since more oil you will need a slightly bigger main as well. there are a few mods you can do to improve the fuel delivery like enlarging the intake ports on the crankcase. nothing you can really do about the exhaust though unless you are handy with a cutting torch and welding etc :D good luck
1986 Spree/ Eve af16 swapped 65cc Prodigy vari 8g 9:1 Ruima gears
21mm OKO 42/100 32:1 45mph kymco zx exhaust
1994 Elite S 17.5mm Arreche, Daytona reeds, SEF ramp, pump plugged :D
1987 Elite SE50 af16 swapped
1989 Elite E SB50p
2003 Yamaha Zuma
B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

Post by B-Nasty »

I just ordered the last 44mm kit. I am going to look into the other parts as well.
thanks for all the info!
B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

Post by B-Nasty »

oh, the only thing I am unsure of now is what do I need to do about the crankcase if any metal shavings fell in there off the piston and jug?
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Re: what piston should I get? (Spree)

Post by niftyman »

Or just buy the 44mm kit it comes with a new jet and instructions on how to fit it and run it in

You probably will want to split the cases and clean it all out tazland also has gasket kits for when you put it back together
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Calm down we dont need this sh it on another thread

Just buy the 44 split the cases clean it out and bobs your uncle
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

Post by B-Nasty »

niftyman wrote:Calm down we dont need this sh it on another thread

Just buy the 44 split the cases clean it out and bobs your uncle
What does splitting the case entail? will I need a new gasket?
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Hm-m-m, I am no expert, but splitting the case seems a bit drastic to clean it out unless you plan to put in new bearings/seals anyway. Seems like I read about mixing up a few solvents and rinsing it out...

You can do some searches on here for splitting the case - quite a bit of work and special tools certainly are helpful.

I guess if you want to be sure and you're investing in a new top-end, it would be good to know for certain that the crank-case is clean.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
B-Nasty
BMX
BMX

Post by B-Nasty »

I think I am just going to change the oil. There are no chunks of the piston/rings/cyl missing (just heavy scoring) so I doubt there is anything in the bottom end that could cause damage quickly.
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Mystic wrote:no you dont necessarily need anything but the bore kit but to take advantage of hte extra power it produces you need the intake and gears but not necessary. chopchop123 on ebay has the 44mm kit for around 100

just checked he only has the 48mm and the 41mm (stock) right now. if your cylinder isnt in bad shape you could just have it honed and get the 41mm piston kit he has on there for 45 dollars :D
Mystic (it is a mystery how you can give advice), how the * can you tell him to just hone the cylinder when you have no idea of how bad the cylinder is? It may very well need a bore job. You know nothing experts need to shut the * up about things you know nothing about.

B, if the cylinder wall have scratches that you can catch your finger nail in, it needs to be bored.

Bear, the advice wasn't bad advice. He said if the condition isn't too bad...... He wasn't as specific as you think he should have been. That doesn't mean you should chew him out. Just add the information you thought needed to he added. No reason to start a fight over nothing.