on the road with no blinkers or brake lights

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: on the road with no blinkers or brake lights

Post by mousewheels »

i do have the multimeter now however to be honest i have no idea how to use it to tell me anything.
There's many measurements a multimeter can perform. The checks mentioned in your thread have been all Voltage measurements.

Voltage Measurements
A typical analogy for a Voltmeter is a relative pressure gauge. Pressure indicated is the difference between the circuit being tapped into and atmospheric pressure.

A Voltmeter is applied between two reference points same as the pressure gauge above. For instance the battery + terminal and Frame ground. For a lot of the wiring voltage tests, once you have gotten past the Battery + Terminal/Frame ground successful test, you can leave the black meter lead on frame ground, and move the red probe to the downstream areas.

-- Initial Setup --
Set meter to the 20 DC Volts scale. Make sure the meter leads are connected to the correct jacks in the meter.

-- Measurements --
We are checking for connectivity. The actual voltage reading is not too important, nominally should be about 12.6v or higher.

1) Battery + terminal (Red DMM Lead), Frame Ground (Black DMM Lead)--> Expected reading +12v
2) Leave Black DMM Lead connected to Frame, Check the Fuse at both sides with the DMM Red Lead --> Expected reading +12v
3) Measure Ignition switch Red wire with the DMM Red Lead --> Expected reading +12v
4) Switch the ignition switch ON, Probe Ignition switch black wire with DMM Red Lead --> Expected Reading +12v.
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

i appreciate the help. my battery got no juice i guess. i just had it charged at the shop but starting it once was enough to drain it completely somehow. i was able to jump start it and get it to register finally, gonna try and perform some of the other tests.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

i appreciate the help. my battery got no juice i guess. i just had it charged at the shop but starting it once was enough to drain it completely somehow. i was able to jump start it and get it to register finally, gonna try and perform some of the other tests.
Ok, have fun with that new meter. Will be a useful tool :thumbwink:

If after you charge you battery, it again becomes discharged, check your regulator. Really bad regulators pop the fuse but some fail and draw a lower current, discharging your battery with the ignition switch 'off' in a matter of hours or days.
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

It's not starting now. when i try to jump it just gives a couple half hearted attempts. i put the battery in my spree gonna try and ride it around tomorrow and charge it up. hopefully i'll be able to coax it into starting tomorrow...
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

I have tested the tailight and it is getting juice. I think its a ground fault. How can identify and fix this problem? There is a green wire leading off the battery that looks a tiny bit frayed.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

maxreverb wrote:I have tested the tailight and it is getting juice. I think its a ground fault. How can identify and fix this problem?

make your own ground, real quick ,and see if it works??
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Ok got two things going on here i think. Conclusively proved the turn signal relay is bad and thats whats the deal with the blinkers.

ANYONE KNOW IF ITS THE SAME RELAY AS ON THE 86 SPREE?

Gonna order a new one but it'd be cool to have a quick fix while im waiting for the part.

The brake light im still working out but i think its likely to be another bad switch.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Yes - same Honda part number between Aero50 1985 and Spree 1986 --- 38301-GN3-672.
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

thanks Mouse you're the electrical king!
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

OKay so with help have sorted out the blinker now just have to work out the tail/ brake light.

Heres the facts i know for certain:

good bulb

socket getting juice

something is def draining the battery
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

something is def draining the battery
The regulator is the likely component. It remains connected to the battery even when the ignition switch is 'off'. There are electrical resistance tests you can run on the regulator in the Honda Service Manual. An easy test is charge the battery, unplug the regulator. Let sit for a few days and see if the battery is no longer drained.

good bulb, socket getting juice
You about have this problem nailed. The brake/tail light has a ground independent from the turn signals. Given good lamp and socket is hot, troubleshoot the ground. You can jumper a wire from frame ground to the socket for a quick test.
Aero_85_Brake_Light.jpg
Aero_85_Brake_Light.jpg (79.47 KiB) Viewed 4153 times
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

Cool man, I was able to fix the ground and get the light to work! So the problem is 6/7s of the way worked out gonna follow yr suggestions on trouble shooting the drain next, thanks much!
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

OK so i checked the part number and figured out i have another R/R in my spree so i swap em out. No difference. So i swap em back. I get an automatic float charger from harbor freight and i put that on the battery over night. Next day go out to take a ride take the charger off and than check the battery with my multimeter and it's showing 13.6 volts. i go to start the bike and it gives out a couple cranks but thats all the juice shes got. checked with the multimeter and now the battery is showing 11.6 The bike will only start when jumped since it has no kick. i can ride it around for half an hour and than if i turn it off it immediately wont start. Is my 3 month old battery dead, or is it something else that could be going on?

the instructions on the charger said not to charge battery showing under 12. it was reading 12.2 when i first attached the charger. hmmm.
it was nice riding today though. with the windshield on i hit 38 on my AERO.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE
maxreverb
Spree
Spree

Post by maxreverb »

So it was a bad battery i guess not the R/R. I bought a new battery, my volt meter says the new fully charged battery only has .07 more volts
however it does have the power to start the scooter consistantly unlike my old battery which wont even begin to start it. I dont know anything about batteries but that one is toast i guess. Now that all the lights are working, and i can start and stop, I'm ready to roll!

on a side note i lost a race on my spree the other day to a rc truck lol maybe i can chase that lil f*cker down on my aero

theres a 86 elite 150 for sale up the street for 400, i want it wicked bad, could be a new addition to the fam.
1985 HONDA AERO
1986 HONDA SPREE