2000 Honda Elite SA50P Project

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jaesun
BMX
BMX

2000 Honda Elite SA50P Project

Post by jaesun »

Hello,

I rescued a 1998 SA50P a few years ago and sold it as soon as I got it running. I still regret selling it, so I decided to pick up a new project. This might get wordy, but I have 2 questions so far. They're highlighted in red below.

I now have a non-running 2000 SA50P with 8350 miles from craigslist. It hasn't run in about 2 years due to a broken belt. It appears that the owner had tried to do the repair himself since he included a new OEM belt from Honda along with a bag of parts. It's been derestricted, but I couldn't get many details from him on what specific things had been done except for the exhaust had been drilled. I initially figured that with a new battery, I should be good to go. There was some body damage and missing mirror but it didn't seem like anything structural besides broken plastic.

I just started on the obvious stuff. I got the variator off but I noticed that it's definitely aftermarket with a Kuka variator and SEF ramp. Some of the rollers are chewed up, and for the life of me, I can only find 5 of the rollers! There has to be a 6th one somewhere... or not. The wear pattern appears that there were 6 rollers, but I really have no idea where the 6th one could have gone.

Any suggestions on what replacement rollers to pick up? Should I stick with the Kuka variator and SEF ramp? or upgrade? I only want to get the scooter in running order for now, so I don't want to go crazy with it just yet.

And...

There's a mouse nest inside the handlebar covers. I'll try to take a picture once I open it up, but I can see that all the wires to the lighting are chewed up to the bare copper. I can just disconnect the electricals to the turn signals and headlamp, and the scooter should run, right? I'm hoping that the engine switch was left untouched. It doesn't appear that any of the other electricals outside of the handlebars have been chewed up by rodents either.

My first goal is to just get the motor running before winter hits so I get a better idea of what I have. I suspect that with the miles, I might have to replace the piston rings at a minimum. I also would rather get a new exhaust than have to clean up the gunk inside the original one. I still have to clean up the carb and air filter before I try to fire up the motor. I'm sure that I'll have a carb question on what jet to use as soon as I take it apart. But now that I know that I'm missing a 6th roller, I'll have to wait for that too.

Thanks in advance! I know this forum was a great help on my last project. I edited my previous posts because I was worried about the new owner reading my previous posts. But on this one, I'm probably going to keep it for a long while.
Wheelman-111

Re: 2000 Honda Elite SA50P Project

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A set of rollers, a carb cleaning, and a muffler roast should get you running. There's not much wrong with the Kuka vario, and surely better than stock.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Yes if you dont have the front lights hooked up it will still run.

Sounds like that engine has a few miles on it. Since you have the varaiter off check the left side crank breaing for play. If you ever pull the cylinder I would check the connecting rod also.

Taz
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Welcome jaesun, I'd probably tape up those bare wires if they are gonna be hold'in juice. Previous owner may have had it apart and lost the roller, if you shoot me a PM I could send you an extra one I have. May also have a 78 jet laying around if you find that you only have a 68 in the carb now. Good advice from wheeldude - cook that pipe and get all the carbon out. Or maybe you can find a pre-cooked unit from someone here! Plastic is avail. if you ask around and if your out of answers to your questions you can always look here: http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page

Happy Trails! :peace:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
jaesun
BMX
BMX

Post by jaesun »

bonesv, I really appreciate the offer. But I think I'm going to go with a new set of rollers. I figure that I'll want a new set if I do end up doing changes with the motor. Plus, the current rollers are really beat up. I wouldn't want to use any of them again.

Polini Medium is the right set if I want to keep things between stock and 72cc? I don't have any desire to take this scooter beyond 45 mph. Legally, I can only take the scooter onto roads with a top MPH of 35, so I should be going at least 45. Maybe a little more. My initial plans are to keep things stock with an upgrade to the top end.

As for the jet, I suspect that it isn't a #68 anyway since the variator and muffler have been derestricted. I'll know once I get around to taking the carb apart. Besides, I have a few things that I'll probably be ordering from Honda. A #78 jet will probably be one of them along with gaskets.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

just get it running first, make sure its derestricted the correct way, if you plan on a bore kit the gear ratio would change, then do what i do, build it, keep it!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

MadDog gives good advice right thar. Sometimes Stock is just fine, for sure easier to sell to non-modders.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
jaesun
BMX
BMX

Post by jaesun »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

MadDog gives good advice right thar. Sometimes Stock is just fine, for sure easier to sell to non-modders.
Agreed. I kept my previous Honda Elite stock. I will have to admit that I sold it for a very nice profit by selling it at Kelly Blue Book value. One of the main reasons why it was an easy decision to sell is that DC is overrun by interns every summer. For most of them, $1k is nothing. I actually got the price I asked for on craigslist without any haggling. I probably timed it right by selling it in June. I think my previous posts on this forum had what type of work I did on it, which is why I edited them.
elite.jpg
elite.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
But for this one, I'm leaning towards keeping it especially since I don't have to worry about expenses like insurance and tags. Well, I hope that I won't have to pay an annual vehicle tax on it. I have it titled in Virginia with my Maryland address since the original title was in Virginia, and I couldn't transfer it to Maryland since Maryland will not title motor scooters with 49cc engines. I'm pretty sure that I'm exempt from the vehicle tax in Virginia since it's a local residency tax and I'm not in Virginia. My guess is that the seller would have just kept this scooter in his garage if it had not been for the annual tax.
2000_elite.JPG
2000_elite.JPG (104.1 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
jaesun
BMX
BMX

Post by jaesun »

Pics of the rodent nest and damage.
front_view.jpg
front_view.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
left_nest.jpg
left_nest.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
left_damage.jpg
left_damage.jpg (98.14 KiB) Viewed 5289 times
The seller did mention that the scooter had been knocked down by the cat which accounted for some of the broken plastic. Now I know why the cat was so interested.
jaesun
BMX
BMX

Post by jaesun »

More pics.
right_damage.jpg
right_damage.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
center_damage.jpg
center_damage.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
left_funk.jpg
left_funk.jpg (104.2 KiB) Viewed 5287 times
Lucky that most of the damage is with the turn signals. There's some minor damage to one wire in the center. It shouldn't be too much of an issue. The cleaning is probably going to the be the worst part.

And bonesv, I'm sending you a PM. I'll take you up on that offer for any extra rollers that you might have lying around.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Nice looking scoots both of them. Looks in good shape, except for the rat damage. Always love the banana yellow but I really dig the black look. I have two black ones, both '01s, had to abandon my yellow '00 'cause of a bad frame. Very popular scooters where I live, gone on craigslist within hours when they do come up! Thanks for posting pic's, is that a sym arnada head light on the black one? Keep in touch and Happy Trails!

:peace:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dang, you're in the DC area?!
Better keep the garage door closed or the EPA will be all over you for destroying endangered Mouse Habitat!
Some funny stuff rat thar! If that cat cat can knock a scooter off its stand, keep clear of it too.
My first and second Aeros were held together mostly by the spider webs within. We called 'em Spreeders.
PM me too if you need 8 and up rollers. I have little use for them.
Wheelman-111
jaesun
BMX
BMX

Post by jaesun »

You know, I was wondering why the headlamp on the original one looks so different. I found out as I was doing repair work on it that it had been in an accident. The crank case had a hole in it from the kick start and the front rim was bent off its true. I had both replaced before I sold it. I also got aftermarket mirrors which look great but weren't practical unless I wanted to stare at my elbows.

But the headlamp looked undamaged which always surprised me. I guess the previous owner had that replaced. The other plastics might also be replacements too. I didn't know the history of it besides that it was purchased and registered in Honolulu. It ended up in the DC area but then the original owner took another job in California. My brother picked it up for $100 right before he left and hasn't heard from the guy in over 10 years.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

your 1st scoot looks like mine plus alot of old school parts no longer made, 5 way adjustable front shocks, ddx airbox, sef pipe plus more :naughty:
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
jaesun
BMX
BMX

Post by jaesun »

It's alive!

I cleaned up the carburetor, got a new battery, tried my best to clean out most of the rodent funk, replaced the wiring and taped off what was salvagable, replaced the spark plug, put on a new belt, got a new Honda filter element, and replaced the rollers and jet (thanks bonesv).

However, I didn't get a proper test run. The back tire is a cheap chinese replacement and beyond bald, and the front tire looks original (at least 11 years old) and is rotted through the sidewall. I only went back and forth a few times to see that it ran properly. I don't even think I got the motor warmed up. I did get it up to 25 mph, and felt that it could have gone faster - but I didn't want to risk it.

I'm planning to keep it stock for now. I'll start taking it apart to clean out out all of the gunk inside out. My immediate buys are new tires/tubes and brake pads. I'm debating if I should get a new muffler or try to clean it out.

Any suggestions on a muffler choice and roller weight sets (weight range)? I probably won't have a new front end on it this winter. I want to in the future though.
2000 SA50P (VA title) - derestricted
1998 SA50P - sold