wiring at the CDI

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

wiring at the CDI

Post by mikehailwood »

The CDI plugs into a 6-pin connector. Only 5 of these 6 pins are needed. Can anyone tell me which color wire goes into which location on the connector? Unplug the CDI from the connector and view the connector so that the unused pin is middle left. Please tell me the color of the wire at each of these positions: upper left, upper right, middle right, lower right, and lower left. Thanks for your help.
Mike
gadgetman
Noob
Noob

cdi wiring

Post by gadgetman »

Mike, looking at the connector long way verticle and empty hole at left middle this is what I found. Top left = blue w/yellow tracer, bottom left = black w/ yellow tracer, top right = green, middle right = black w/ white tracer, bottom right = black w/ red tracer. Hope this helps, Duane :?:
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

wiring at the CDI

Post by mikehailwood »

Duane, Thanks for taking the time to check those wires for me - and so quickly too! I have been unable to get spark on this '84 Spree since I acquired it and am beside myself. All components of the ignition system have checked out per manual resistance specs except the CDI box which worked successfully on another scooter. The 5 wires on the other scooter are patterned at the CDI connector just like you described. However, on my connector, the locations of the Blue w/Yellow tracer and the Green have been switched. These wires do not apear to have been tampered with and, as yet, I can offer no explanation. Will there now be Spree spark? Stay tuned. And thanks again for your time and help. Mike
gadgetman
Noob
Noob

Post by gadgetman »

Mike, if you think it's your cdi let me know as I am in process of parting out an 84. The guy I originaly purchased it from said that the bike was running when he parked it so I would think it would be good. If you need it let me know and I won't put it on auction, I would let you have for $5.00 + shipping. If needed email me at gadgetman56@yahoo.com. Good luck, Duane
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

wiring at CDI

Post by mikehailwood »

Duane, I now have spark! 2 of the wires at the CDI connector block had apparently been removed and re-installed incorrectly. Thanks again for your help. This took quite a lot of effort to figure out. Sometimes a free motorcycle that won't run isn't quite so "free".