Help me get my 1986 Spree running perfect, multiple problems

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

txmxer
Noob
Noob

Post by txmxer »

Hey guys I bought this 1986 Honda spree and it ran just fine after I replaced a fuel line, filter, and cleaned the carb.

Problem 1: One day it started bogging down when I would ride, it will still start first or second kick and run a bit but then it will bog again and not go anymore.

Problem 2: Now when it doest ride well the rear clunks alot until it gets up to speed. Is this a rear wheel bearing issue?

I started it up for the first time in a month today rode it around the block once just fine with problem 2 still going on and then it began problem 1 again.

Please help me, thanks in advance.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Help me get my 1986 Spree running perfect, multiple prob

Post by abreen89 »

check the rear break, if that not an issue then i would dig into the trans, its not hard to check it out just remove the covers and make sure everything is up to spec with your manual. As for your bogging issue it sounds like it is your carb and either their is a kink in one of your lines or your having float issues. Every time i have a issue with the carb i take it totaly apart and soak it in carb clean for a night. THen i get some q tips and a drill and polish the needle seats and inspect the needle making sure there are no cracks. I also inspect the float to see if it has any holes or is worn out, before i hook it back up i spray everything out with 150 psi of compressed air. if you hook it up and you are still having problems do a plug chop. if you are running lean its probably an air leak that is causing your problem. Do you have the gaskets all on and the one from the carb to the intake on in the right direction. be sure all your fuel lines are cut to close to perfect length because when you sit on the scooter they sag. that could aslo be your problem. IDK just a few things to look at.
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
txmxer
Noob
Noob

Post by txmxer »

Thanks ill check out the back break and hopefully its nothing with the trans. My plans for tomorrow will be cleaning the carbs out again, new plug, and checking out the fuel lines. I never thought about the length of the fuel line although I believe I cut them to the stock length. I do have a feeling that its fuel line or fuel pump related. I will check the float level too, honestly carbs are my worst to work on. Im not too good at working on them but I guess I should get good considering its the first thing to need work on a biked stored for a long time. Im hoping to get this fixed by the end of the week.

EDIT: what would need to be up to spec per manual with the trans? I didnt get a manual when I bought it off the previous owner.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Download the service manual here.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=11
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Where in ca are you located?

And to the guy that uses a drill and qtips to clean the carb that is way too funny :lol:

The issue sounds like the pilot circuit is clogged in the carb. You need to poke it clean. I use a carb cleaning tool they sell @ cycle gear. It's basically a set of thin wires for clearing debris from jets.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

bradthreee wrote:Where in ca are you located?

And to the guy that uses a drill and qtips to clean the carb that is way too funny :lol:

The issue sounds like the pilot circuit is clogged in the carb. You need to poke it clean. I use a carb cleaning tool they sell @ cycle gear. It's basically a set of thin wires for clearing debris from jets.

the drill and q-tip polishes the needle seat really well and was recomended to me over a year ago when i first started working on my elite. As for poking holes to get jams out, there is no reason for doing that when you can just soak it over night in carb clean and then blast it with air. My friend tried doing it with just poking it out and ended up shaving off medal and messed his carb up for good. Just soak it and blow it out works every time.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

My thumb and index finger work just as well. The drill is a tad bit overboard.

And its pretty clear to me that you havent come across a carb that is really clogged.

I dont know what your friend used to poke at the carb, but there are tools made specifically for this task.

Yes carb cleaner is a good idea, but wont always work. Trust me I've cleaned many many carbs.

Good luck!
txmxer
Noob
Noob

Post by txmxer »

Thanks guys, the part that bugs me is I never take any of my bikes to the dealer for work. I took the carb on this to the dealer to clean but I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt clean it well enough.

Im in riverside.
txmxer
Noob
Noob

Post by txmxer »

A little update, I took apart the carb, fuel line, inline filter etc, and they were dirty! The culprit was rust from the gas tank. So I used warm water and dish soap with a bunch of nuts and bolts until no more rust came out of the gas tank. I sprayed the carb, fuel pump, and lines until they were completely clean. Also put in a new inline filter, ngk spark plug, and I did a compression test, got 120 psi so Im happy about that. So I rode it around the block a time or two and its riding but itll bog once in a while. 0-1/2 throttle runs much better but 3/4-full throttle is a guaranteed bog and then dies. It also runs better on down hills than uphills for sure, so from this I can tell that the main jet is plugged up?? I will try to soak it again over night.

Also the only gas I had was some 36:1 from my dirtbikes so it was also running rich as *, I will try to run it again with actual straight gas and let you guys know the results.

I still need help on the clunking in the rear, was not the back break. Its only when going very slow and then when I speed up and ride its completely gone. Any ideas?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

txmxer wrote:A little update, I took apart the carb, fuel line, inline filter etc, and they were dirty! The culprit was rust from the gas tank. So I used warm water and dish soap with a bunch of nuts and bolts until no more rust came out of the gas tank. I sprayed the carb, fuel pump,What fuel pump? and lines until they were completely clean. Also put in a new inline filter, ngk spark plug, What number plug? and I did a compression test, got 120 psi so Im happy about that. So I rode it around the block a time or two and its riding but itll bog once in a while. 0-1/2 throttle runs much better but 3/4-full throttle is a guaranteed bog and then dies. Is the airbox in place along with a good clean air filter element? It also runs better on down hills than uphills for sure, so from this I can tell that the main jet is plugged up?? I will try to soak it again over night.

Also the only gas I had was some 36:1 from my dirtbikes so it was also running rich as *, I will try to run it again with actual straight gas and let you guys know the results. That is not rich, that is lean, not enough gas because the oil is displacing it but it smokes because of the too much oil.

I still need help on the clunking in the rear, was not the back break. Its only when going very slow and then when I speed up and ride its completely gone. Any ideas? The idle too high so the clutch is dragging.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
txmxer
Noob
Noob

Post by txmxer »

Bear45-70 wrote:
txmxer wrote:A little update, I took apart the carb, fuel line, inline filter etc, and they were dirty! The culprit was rust from the gas tank. So I used warm water and dish soap with a bunch of nuts and bolts until no more rust came out of the gas tank. I sprayed the carb, fuel pump,What fuel pump? and lines until they were completely clean. Also put in a new inline filter, ngk spark plug, What number plug? and I did a compression test, got 120 psi so Im happy about that. So I rode it around the block a time or two and its riding but itll bog once in a while. 0-1/2 throttle runs much better but 3/4-full throttle is a guaranteed bog and then dies. Is the airbox in place along with a good clean air filter element? It also runs better on down hills than uphills for sure, so from this I can tell that the main jet is plugged up?? I will try to soak it again over night.

Also the only gas I had was some 36:1 from my dirtbikes so it was also running rich as *, I will try to run it again with actual straight gas and let you guys know the results. That is not rich, that is lean, not enough gas because the oil is displacing it but it smokes because of the too much oil.

I still need help on the clunking in the rear, was not the back break. Its only when going very slow and then when I speed up and ride its completely gone. Any ideas? The idle too high so the clutch is dragging.
Stock plug, airbox is in place and the filter is clean. Thanks I will turn down the idle screw a turn or two and see how it goes.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

txmxer wrote:Stock plug, airbox is in place and the filter is clean. Thanks I will turn down the idle screw a turn or two and see how it goes.
With the scooter on the center stand, if the rear wheel turns with the engine idling, then the idle is too high.

Which stock plug? There are 3 of them.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
txmxer
Noob
Noob

Post by txmxer »

Ill have to check, the rear wheel doesnt spin when it is on the center stand and also when it is on the center stand it runs fine for some reason.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

U need to tube the carb in the center stand like the manual says set the screws to factory preset and start from there my elite use to do that until I got the carb tunes right
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

txmxer wrote:Ill have to check, the rear wheel doesnt spin when it is on the center stand and also when it is on the center stand it runs fine for some reason.
This is normal. That is because an unloaded engine takes less than a 10th the fuel to rev up than a loaded engine does. What happens above idle on the center stand has nothing to do with what is happening while riding the scooter.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree