Just getting started, got here through google...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

slapshot0046
Noob
Noob

Just getting started, got here through google...

Post by slapshot0046 »

I have never been much of a motor enthusiast, but recently got the opportunity to buy a moped from a neighbor for school. It is an 1986 NQ 50 and was my brothers moped; when he first had it it started electronically. After putting it up for a winter at our old house it would only start by kick start, and now it will not start at all.

Im starting by just reading the manual that I found via these forums after a few minutes of searching and this forum looks awesome for any issues I might have. Where else should I start besides just reading the owners manual to get this thing running?

Im sure many will roll eyes at this post, but figured I should post after registering, hoping that maybe people could point me to get videos, pdfs, or general schematics that will help me understand bikes better.

slapshot
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Just getting started, got here through google...

Post by abreen89 »

almosts 99% of spree problems start with the carberator. take it off and inspect it to the manual. Another cool tool this site offers is http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?title=Main_Page here you will find picture guides on how to properly clean the carb. while you have the carb off also inspect the reeds and replace the fuel line. You are using fresh gas right? IF you clean it all right then you should have fuel next i would check the spark by pulling the spark plug out grounding it and trying the electric start you should see a blue spark jump across the plug gap. If you have fuel and spark next is compression you can buy a tester at harbour freight or just rent one from your local autozone, oreilys, etc. But if start with the carb and see where that gets you good luck!
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Can you be a little more specific?

Details...
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

The most likely cause for the electric start failing would be the battery dying.

Was it sitting for awhile before it stopped starting at all?
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold