1984 Gyro questions - split from build thread

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Culli
BMX
BMX

1984 Gyro questions - split from build thread

Post by Culli »

I have a 84 gyro I have been trying to get running, and I did briefly after cleaning varnish from the tank and carb, but it does not stay running. I too have a leaky fuel petcock and was wondering where you bought yours and how much? Is the plastic filter part that goes inside the tank all one piece with the petcock, just curious because mine is broke off if it is. Your right about the 2nd gear when it kicks in, you really feel the surge. Too bad it died shortly after that though. I did try to start if tonight and it did briefly but then nothing again. Not sure what is wrong yet, but it must not be too much. I have not done a lot of mechanical work, but enough to get in trouble.
Thanks

Culli
mchiang
Noob
Noob

Re: 1984 Honda Gyro Build

Post by mchiang »

Hi, zuphilius
I realize that you might have sold your gyro a while ago, still I am hoping you can help.
I too have a red gyro, just like yours, had to put in new rings, got it running quite well, but noticed that gasoline is dripping from a tube on the right side of the air intake, pointing down. is this due to leaky petcock?
please see attached picture, I stuffed a match stick up the tube in an attempt to stop the drip why I figure out what is going on, did not work.
thanks.
Attachments
IMGA0003C.gif
IMGA0003C.gif (95.45 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

Unfortunately, I'm not a carb guy. Mousewheels should be on soon and he is a gyro guru.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Sounds like there isn't a proper seal between the float valve and the float seat. Polish the float seat with a q-tip and metal polish. For more info search "colgate"
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I too have a red gyro, just like yours, had to put in new rings, got it running quite well, but noticed that gasoline is dripping from a tube on the right side of the air intake, pointing down. is this due to leaky petcock?
If fuel is leaking with the petcock in the "OFF" position, yes the petcock has an issue *and* the carb needle/float is not sealing.
  • Check/clean carb body seat
  • Inspect float needle for wear/damage,
Foreign matter between the float needle/seat may cause leaks:
  • Inspect/replace fuel lines.
  • Verify strainer within fuel tank is in place.