honda vision wont start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

honda vision wont start

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

just signed up on here, was following hedder2212`s post because im having pretty much the same problem as him but hes given up, i dont want to give up on my scooter because ive got an emotional attachment to it, ive had mine 3 months now and i was riding it home from work and it bogged down and cut out, wouldnt start, its been sitting a week or two now, ive checked compression and its at 110 psi, ive got a good strong spark, there is petrol and oil getting through, i had it running the other day for about 20 mins and got about 10 miles onto it and it happened again, its had a new spark plug, drained petrol tank out and put new petrol in, drained oil and put fresh oil in but still wont start, can anyone help me figure this out ? dont want to give up as easily as hedder2212. thanks in advance.
A good toolkit is a hammer and a condom. If the hammer doesn't fix it, Use the condom to f**k it!
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Re: honda vision wont start

Post by SuprasNsprees »

If it died slowly, id be looking at the carb
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Compression check before you screw with anything.

No compression, then nothing you do to the carb will ever make it run.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
SuprasNsprees
Elite
Elite

Post by SuprasNsprees »

Bear45-70 wrote:Compression check before you screw with anything.

uk-visionsa50 wrote: ive checked compression and its at 110 psi.

You're slacking as of late mr bear :smile:
'86 Honda Spree : taz stage3 w/ mild porting, head milled 0.015", and pulley mod. 2k+ mies on kit
'80 Puch Magnum MKII
'78 Maxi Newport. Polini 64cc case matched, hi comp head, Rito alum crank, delorto 21mm race, etc.
'78 PA50 Hobbit
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

SuprasNsprees wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Compression check before you screw with anything.

uk-visionsa50 wrote: ive checked compression and its at 110 psi.

You're slacking as of late mr bear :smile:

haha, yeah it took a while to die to be honest, so clean the carb and adjust ? if so how do i do this ? never messed with carbs before so have no freekin idea what im doing :?
A good toolkit is a hammer and a condom. If the hammer doesn't fix it, Use the condom to f**k it!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

thanks for the links bear :) will clean carb etc when i get back from work tommorrow
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

a friend has borrowed me his kawasaki ninja 250rr until i get the scooter running properly, hes had a look at it (more experience with hondas than me) and said that the engines not getting enough air ? he wanted to drill holes into the air box but i wouldnt let him incase it screwed things up. what should i do to get more air into it ? its still running the stock air box with the air element inside.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

uk-visionsa50 wrote:a friend has borrowed me his kawasaki ninja 250rr until i get the scooter running properly, hes had a look at it (more experience with hondas than me) and said that the engines not getting enough air ? he wanted to drill holes into the air box but i wouldnt let him incase it screwed things up. what should i do to get more air into it ? its still running the stock air box with the air element inside.
Tell that 4 stroke guy that his knowledge of 2 strokes will melt the piston. NO HOLES!
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
motormike

Post by motormike »

Motor scooter diagnosis is very difficult via computer. With a friend telling you it needs more air, why not remove the air filter to see if it improves. Definately do not put any holes in the airbox. Possibly he is right about the air, Could also be the muffler plugged with carbon and it needs to have more air going OUT of the engine ? Carbon build-up is possible within the cylinder as well. Since you compression test seems to be adequate, my suspicion is trash/debri in the carb bowl that is intermittently blocking the passage of fuel...very easy to check that.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

ill have a mess around with it tommorrow and see what happens, not in too much of a rush to fix it now im on the 250rr ;) but seriously do want this thing running, so on day off tommorrow, clean carb fully, remover air filter and if not take cylinder etc off and clean it all up ? then put it all back together and see what happens.

EDIT : just took air filter out and it spluttered a little when i tried to start it but wont start.
motormike

Post by motormike »

For curiosity sake, dribble a small amount of pre-mix fuel into the carb throat to see if this initiates start-up. If so, most likely fuel delivery is the problem... :urban: ...especially if it starts and then dies shortly afterward.
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

will do tommorrow, its 10pm here and ive just put the scoot away before i go work in 5 mins, will let you know what happens.
uk-visionsa50
Spree
Spree

Post by uk-visionsa50 »

finally got it running today and had a little ride on it, didnt have any problems, all i did was remove the black plastic fan cover thing on the right side of the scooter ? not going to ride it anymore because ive figured that something could fly up from the road and hit the fan thing and possibly do alot of damage to it. is there a mod i can do to the fan cover or anything ?
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

The fan cover thing circulates the air to keep the cylinder cool, I believe it's in your best interest to reinstall before it grenades on you.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.