85 spree head grooving and squish band mod

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spreeme
Noob
Noob

85 spree head grooving and squish band mod

Post by Spreeme »

Alright guys I'd like to restart a conversation that was started last January on these boards. Here is the original thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17488&start=15 please read it and refresh so we can all be on the same page... its only 3 pages long so it shouldnÔÇÖt take long.

In that thread bakaracer was talking about how the stock head design on our sprees is not made for the 44mm & 48mm BBK's that Taz sells. And that it would be beneficial to recut the squish band and angle it towards the combustion chamber at a 12 to 14deg angle. Here is his reply to me when I pm'd him about the subject...

"If you can get the head cut to the 44mm diameter and have a squish band with about 15deg angle towards the spark plug cut. You will have to also take a compression reading and make sure itÔÇÖs not above 135psi. I think a aftermarket head for a 87 elite 50, 88-93 elite lx/sr or 86-87 aero 50 will work too. I havenÔÇÖt had a chance to check bolt spacing for the cylinders yet so double check and ask around. If you can find a aftermarket head from those bikes and it will bolt up, then you donÔÇÖt have to worry about having a machine shop reshape the stock head."

So I'd like to look into this with some help. Heres the break down...
#1 is to check the bolt spacing on a variated af05e motor and see if itÔÇÖs the same as the spree. If it matches up we may be able to purchase an aftermarket head for the above motor and bolt it up? So anyone out there have a variated af05e motor that could check the bolt spacing?

#2 has anyone ever had a machine shop groove it and do the squish band rework with the stock spree head?

IÔÇÖm wondering if all this is even worth the hassle because many people have purchased the BBK's with CT intakes and bigger carbs and tuned it with good results... what do you guys think?
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 85 spree head grooving and squish band mod

Post by Trafficjamz »

The bolts do line up.

I put a dio head on my Bbk spree......it did not make any difference.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
Spreeme
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreeme »

Trafficjamz wrote:The bolts do line up.

I put a dio head on my Bbk spree......it did not make any difference.
Alright well I guess that settles it. Thanks Trafficjamz!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The heads have same bolt pattern but the Elite heads are larger... so you may have to redo the cooling tin or make the head smaller on the outside.

As for reworking the chamber... pretty easy to do on a lathe. You take a spark-plug sized rod and thread one end same as spark plug. Install the head on that and use it to re-turn the internal head surface.

Also a pretty good way to take some material off the gasket surface and increase compression. It's how I did mine.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products