Carb reassembly issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

HondaOnly
BMX
BMX

Carb reassembly issue

Post by HondaOnly »

Quick question on reassembling my carb

How is the retainer supposed to hold the jet needle in throttle valve?

Do you just put the jet needle with needle clip on it inside the throttle valve then press down the retainer?

Or does the retainer get pulled down into the throttle valve by mounting it to the needle clip then pulling the needle into the throttle valve?

:crazy:
1986 Spree Red
1986 Spree Black no Kickstart
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Carb reassembly issue

Post by mousewheels »

Do you just put the jet needle with needle clip on it inside the throttle valve then press down the retainer?
That is fine and good. It is good to get the retainer seated before re-assembly.

The spring holds the retainer tight to the needle clip once the entire carb is assembled.
HondaOnly
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaOnly »

d*** I have an 86 and I just noticed in the manual now it says not to disassemble these items after 85' model year or it results in damage! I think this should be added to the wikispreedia :(
1986 Spree Red
HondaOnly
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaOnly »

I only disassembled these parts in the first place though because my throttle wasn't functioning properly after I had everything attached to the carb in the proper manner with the slot facing the screw!

blahhhh frustrated hopefully I can figure this out tomorrow or garner some info. from you guys. I was never good at adjusting my brakes on my bmx bike, hate messing with cable linkages !!!! :x
1986 Spree Red
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I suppose there are folks which could bend or damage the needle - and have never seen *any* offenders here. I doubt you are one :thumbsup:

Here's a pic of the assembly, very little to go wrong on assembly, other than that clip can sometimes rotate on assembly. I press it down with a socket which clears the bore...
HondaOnly
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaOnly »

Yep I can confirm that's how I reassembled it after having issues with my throttle but then I still had very little throttle turn and it did not feel normal. Am I just left to adjust my throttle and should I be doing this with the assembly attached to the carb or detached ?
1986 Spree Red
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Slot of the throttle slide 'keys' into the carb. There is an alignment nub in the carb. Guide to assembly is 'angled notch' of the throttle slide faces air filter box.
HondaOnly
BMX
BMX

Post by HondaOnly »

Got it now :)
1986 Spree Red