Spree Transmission Oil Change?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fatcharlie
Goped
Goped

Re: Spree Transmission Oil Change?

Post by fatcharlie »

Christian-

Unfortunately as you found out there is no drain plug on the final reduction box. You have to either remove the cover to drain it (you can spray it all down with brake cleaner and inspect the gears at this time if you're concerned about the condition). You may be able to buy a gasket for it (check cheapcycleparts.com) or you could use RTV to seal it up. I've successfully reused the gasket in the past.

Otherwise, you're either tipping the bike over or pulling the motor to drain it out. It's not the friendliest oil change.
1986 NB50
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

fatcharlie wrote:Christian-

Unfortunately as you found out there is no drain plug on the final reduction box. You have to either remove the cover to drain it (you can spray it all down with brake cleaner and inspect the gears at this time if you're concerned about the condition). You may be able to buy a gasket for it (check cheapcycleparts.com) or you could use RTV to seal it up. I've successfully reused the gasket in the past.

Otherwise, you're either tipping the bike over or pulling the motor to drain it out. It's not the friendliest oil change.
Thank you sir.
I just recently got the scoot and threw in a new top end. Probably wise to get the oil changed out for peace of mind.
I pulled the inspection bolt and there is oil, so that's good :D.

Time to tip the baby over I guess... such a strange way to change the oil. hahaha
-Christian
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Too stupid to learn! I'm done with this moron.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
indetrucks
Goped
Goped

Post by indetrucks »

Bear45-70 wrote:Too stupid to learn! I'm done with this moron.
Good idea to quite while you're ahead Fred.
Choose your battles more wisely next time big guy, ya never know who's behind the keyboard you're insulting.

But I will say this, I think we all know who turned out to be the "moron" in this thread.
(You DID teach me how to use Google Images, so thanks!) :bowrofl:

Oh well.. it was fun :lol:
-Christian
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Post by MrChimpo »

I am having an issue with not having the fill bolt in my Spree and needing to go to hardware store for a replacement. Does anyone know the right size (thread pitch, length?) of this bolt for my 1986 Spree? I am in the process of cleaning out the drivetrain thoroughly and making sure that all the components are in good working order... Thank you in advance =)
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles