AF05-E & AF16 Parts interchangeability?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

AF05-E & AF16 Parts interchangeability?

Post by MrChimpo »

Hey I have an 86' Honda Spree NQ50 on an AF05-E case - my transmission is going bad... I am going to be looking to upgrade this motor to a DIO(?) motor since the piston rings are worn, cylinder wall slightly marred, and overall the 8500mi on this motor... It will cruise at 25 @ 3/4 throttle, and top out at 30-32Mph which is good on most streets here in Vancouver WA / Portland OR area but Im in the bike lanes most of the time and I dont really like it. I want to be able to cruise at 40Mph and get up to 45 for the scary over-the-bridge runs on the freeway I do.

My question is the regarding case code, AF05-E(?) & AF16 for the motors... Do both the SA50 & SE50 use the AF16 case? Aftermarket variator ramps. clutch springs, and the like are not case specific are they?.

My AF05-E has no variator, just a d*** weight-wheel that adds inertia I guess... Could I add a variator and new ratio gears in my AF05-E gear case for more top end? Im already running the AX24 belt.

Would a BBK on my spree motor be effective or would I be better off swapping the entire motor / drivetrain from an SA50 / SE50???

Thank You in advance.
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: AF05-E & AF16 Parts interchangeability?

Post by veedubh20 »

dont waste time on build af05e. get a dio motor from 94-01 has more parts gear, pipe, big carb , roller grams high speed pulley and more.
MrChimpo
BMX
BMX

Re: AF05-E & AF16 Parts interchangeability?

Post by MrChimpo »

Thats what I was leaning towards doing. Thank You for the affirm. I like the size of the Spree, its a good platform, and I am in the process of completely reworking it into a sleek minimalistic Skelly of sorts. I do want to keep the Spree and figure one day it will be good for the freeway jaunts between Vancouver and Portland (bridge city lol).

What would be a fair range to pay for an SA50 swap? A friend of mine can weld and I am mechanically inclined so with no labor and just an expansion pipe as only aftermarket mod what price range does it sit?

Thank You in advance I learn so much on this site =) :coolcruise:
1986 Honda Spree Partial Skelly w/ custom exhaust 8500miles