Electrical problamo. JDM gauge retrofit - fuel gauge issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SpamMusubi4Life
Spree
Spree

Electrical problamo. JDM gauge retrofit - fuel gauge issue

Post by SpamMusubi4Life »

Sup doods! Ok so I recently did a jdm headset swap on my '85 Aero, kept the American harness and soldered the wires on the Japanese switches. It ran like a champ the first day I put it back together, but now the fuel gauge doesn't work, it didn't work when I soldered it either, always reads half tank. And the bike has a noticeable bog when its warmed up. I dump the throttle all the way after completely stopping and the motor bogs for a sec or two and then is fine after it gets going. I'm pretty sure its shorting out somewhere, when I grabbed the spark plug wire I got zapped! s***! Any suggestions??
'85 Honda Aero AF16 Corsa
ALL
DAY
SpamMusubi4Life
Spree
Spree

Re: Electrical problamo.

Also does the gears from the dd50 fit into my af16? My gears top at 40 the DD went a little faster.
ALL
DAY
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Electrical problamo.

Post by mousewheels »

now the fuel gauge doesn't work, it didn't work when I soldered it either, always reads half tank
I have no wire diagrams to cover your JDM fuel gauge and sender. There may incompatibility between your Aero sender and JDM gauge.

Honda changed some models from a 2 wire sender at tank to 3 wire in the 1985-86 cross over year. The 1985 Aero sender is 2 wire. I know the issue exists among Sprees and can check the Aero tonight. The service manual link covers '85 Aero' only. There is no known wiring mod to correct this issue. The sender needs to match.
SpamMusubi4Life
Spree
Spree

Re: Electrical problamo. JDM gauge retrofit - fuel gauge iss

So any chance I can just switch the American gauge with the jdm and keep everything else Japanese?
ALL
DAY
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Electrical problamo. JDM gauge retrofit - fuel gauge iss

Post by mousewheels »

Sure, if the meter movement mounts up and the graphics are such the Aero gauge sweeps the correct arc for E-F.