Problems at high RPM

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

syclone
Noob
Noob

Problems at high RPM

Post by syclone »

Pulled the spark plug today and one side is black.

Also, wanted to know if this oil is OK to pour into the oil reservoir.

Finally, it looks like this clutch is due for replacement, could that cause it to lose power at around 20mph?
Attachments
Photo Sep 11, 9 04 56 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 11, 9 04 56 PM.jpg (124.04 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
clutch-pads.jpg
clutch-pads.jpg (114.02 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
Photo Sep 13, 8 25 15 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 13, 8 25 15 PM.jpg (83.67 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
stucinthe80z
Spree
Spree

Re: Problems at high RPM

Post by stucinthe80z »

yes youre clutch looks like it has enjoyed all of its rides you can get the weights from honda assuming it is a spree .
i can tell by the piping on the seat plugs are very cheap as for oil i would run honda GN2 as for you clutch the number for the weights 22535-GK8-325 hond #spark plug you want is a BR6HSA as for power loss it could be a dirty or restricted pipe ,dirty carb,or dirtyair cleaner hopes this helps you out
syclone
Noob
Noob

Post by syclone »

stucinthe80z wrote:yes youre clutch looks like it has enjoyed all of its rides you can get the weights from honda assuming it is a spree .
i can tell by the piping on the seat plugs are very cheap as for oil i would run honda GN2 as for you clutch the number for the weights 22535-GK8-325 hond #spark plug you want is a BR6HSA as for power loss it could be a dirty or restricted pipe ,dirty carb,or dirtyair cleaner hopes this helps you out
Thanks, any clutch upgrades available, saw some people like the elite e clutch over stock. Is there a larger, perhaps ventilated cover that would allow a .5" top width belt to fit?

I am going to use GN2, but a motorsports shop suggested the stuff in the above photo for an 86 spree. But, I am a bit concerned, its synthetic and I don't see anyone using it on here so I might flush it out. Perhaps I should add some premix to the gas just to be safe?

Yesterday I found the prev owner didn't have an air filter installed. :crazy:

Its got about 1900 miles on it, so hopefully its not in need of a rebuild already.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

your worn clutch is not your speed problem.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
syclone
Noob
Noob

Post by syclone »

Cleaned the carborator, and now high rpm range is great, hit 35 mph yesterday. The only problem is it really struggles with any uphill climbs, bogs down like the belt isn't grabbing. I scuffed up the pads to see if that would help but didn't change anything. I noticed some metal to metal wear on the weights so it's time to swap it out. Also it looks like the weights aren't extending evenly, when I pull them out by hand they look off center or angled which may be another sign of being worn. Seems like a lot of wear for 1900 miles.

I'm using a gates 7240 belt and have a new (used but pads look good) clutch assembly coming next week so hopefully that will solve the problem. I would love to find a 11.5mm (.45") as the 10mm seems a bit narrow, and the ax24 .50" popped off when I tried it.

I may try upgrading the springs that hold the weights, any suggestions on what works best for stock spree? I live in an area with lots of hills so the low end power needs to be good and I'd be willing to sacrifice 5 MPH in top speed to get off the line a bit better.