Aero 125 variator tune-up

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Aero 125 variator tune-up

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth MM"
Installed (dry) Dr Pulley sliders today, new belt, new rear tire, and new rear brake shoes....
Giving an accurate assessment of the change in performance based solely on the addition of sliders is not possible.
I changed too many things at once to be able to separate the differences.

I've been guilty of that one myself too many times to say "I told you so...".
No question about the sliders having a totally different curve...higher rpm before the "squeeze" begins...then it feels like it climbs way harder through the mid-range.
If there are no splines on the crank end, or if they are generous and long enough, you can add a .75mm shim between the boss and the outer sheave to compensate for the wider belt. This will let the belt drop down closer to center on the front pulley and restore the correct belt "ratio" for sprightlier take-offs.
Can't give numbers exact, but with stock rollers, it shifted at about 19-20 mph.
After that, it seemed to be all carb that took over.
It's really not supposed to be a "shift" but a Continuous (The "C" in CVT stands for Continuously) Variation. If it felt like a gear shifting, something was sticking.
The sliders "feel" like they start the shift process later, maybe 25ish, then stretch the next 25 mph out in a much better ratio than the rollers could.

Maybe check your rear pulley for stiction. There are a couple of knobs on the inner part that engage "cam slots" on the outer that can go dry and create this sudden "shift" effect.
To be sure, I'm a fan of the slider instantly. I am curious how the next lighter set would behave.
I betcha I would like it....
Sadly, I can feel some belt slippage on those WOT starts.
Not much, and not dramatic, just some obvious jutter in the chassis that I've felt before during belt destructions.
Chalk it up to a couple things: A. 5mm longer & B. 28 degrees( instead of 30)
I'm counting on it wearing in and settling down....shrug...
I bet it will, but you'll have to make that shim a little thinner or remove it when/if it does. The longer belt will actually improve your take-off, provided it can go closer to center up front.
I've been meaning to score a Metro (also 28 degrees) belt some time to try out, expecting the same "break-in".
Enter the thought: Time to go with stiffer Contra spring....hummmmmmm
Measure your unloaded spring length. I have some Aftermarket GY6 (Longer than I can use in Flash) springs you can have for a shippng address. The stronger spring improves the grip on the belt, plus will have the same effect as lighter rollers, more or less.
Probably buy an OEM belt next time i see one reasonably priced....

It would remove the bevel-angle variable.

Keep posting! :popcorn:
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
zuphilius
Elite
Elite

Post by zuphilius »

I've been following interestedly, there's an Aero 125 here for $600 (he started at $900+ about a year ago, funny he turned down my offer for $600 at that time).

I don't know if I'll bite, I've also been looking at 1987 Elite 150's in the area, transporting has been the issue, along with people thinking their scoots are made of gold.

Just missed an Aero 80 this morning for $250, I'm thinking Bear grabbed it.

Back to the subject at hand, thanks for doing all the legwork for us, much appreciated.
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:
Enter the thought: Time to go with stiffer Contra spring....hummmmmmm
Measure your unloaded spring length. I have some Aftermarket GY6 (Longer than I can use in Flash) springs you can have for a shippng address. The stronger spring improves the grip on the belt, plus will have the same effect as lighter rollers, more or less.
Thanks for that, Wheelie... :hi:
Might be a while before I pull the cover again.
However, the "shim idea" has my attention.
There is already a shim between outer sheave and the boss that appears to be an OEM part.
I've probably already scrubbed the belt down a little, and this process of shimming may be moot.... :werd:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
zpb101
Noob
Noob

Post by zpb101 »

So, if you were to order today - would you get the 18g or 19g sliders?
motormike

Post by motormike »

zpb101 wrote:So, if you were to order today - would you get the 18g or 19g sliders?

I would get 18's... :smile:
I believe TylerVR has used much lighter "rollers".
Maybe as light as 12... :?
Sliders come w/recommendation to drop 1 gram each roller when converting to sliders.
Having changed so many components at once on my bike, an true assessment is difficult to give.
However, I think 18's would improve take-off on my current set-up.... :thumbwink:
Honestly, I'd like to see how 17's would feel and the top-speed difference.
RideRed
zpb101
Noob
Noob

Post by zpb101 »

OK - couldn't get myself to go all the way to 17's so, ordered 18's. Waiting for them to arrive.

In the meantime - I wanted to take a look into the variator and see what it looked like in there. Mine is packed with some sort of 30 year old grease gunk substance. Reading your post I think it says you did not repack grease into the variator and are running it dry with the Dr. Pulley's - is that correct?

Definite flat spots on the rollers.
Attachments
Variator gunk.jpg
Variator gunk.jpg (18.86 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
motormike

Post by motormike »

...I probably order the 17's then... :thumbwink:

Yeah that's right, no grease.
Way to go by many others reports.
I went with it and have no problems.
AND have a NEW BELT from Gates...it's a PowerLink...looks awesome, and dirt cheap. $25 over the counter.
The size is same as I'm running=799 X 19 X 28
I am tempted to install it and save the one in there now for back-up.
At the same time, replace the Contra spring, shoe springs possibly.
I am missing the hard hit that I know is within reach.
Just like a drug.... :urban:
RideRed