Noob in need of help.. 87 Elite 50 S Leaking oil like a siv

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mjh787s
Goped
Goped

Noob in need of help.. 87 Elite 50 S Leaking oil like a siv

Post by Mjh787s »

Bought an 87 Elite 50 S, seller told me it leaked a LITTLE oil.

Got it home, filled oil tank and next day, 1/4 tank low on oil and oil all the way down the bike stand in a pool.

Next day, another 1/4 tank leaked

Everything is covered in oil around the oil pump

No leaking oil from the following areas:

Oil Tank outlet
Oil Strainer
Oil Feed Line
Oil Feed Line entering the pump
Oil exit from the oil pump
Oil nipple on the intake manifold

But the oil is fresh, not dirty, and is running all the way down the swing arm thing and kick stand.

1st of all, can I plug the thing? I know that there is a plug from Daywot online for $20, which is fine, but I only see that it works with the DIO bikes.

Can I Diagnose the thing? Cuz I cannot see where the oil is leaking visually, meaning it might be a bad oil pump, and that is $75 at the cheapest I can find.

Please help, I live in an apartment complex and I dont want to keep leaking oil, I have cardboard down, but I live in Oregon and rain is on the way.

Thanks guys, Please know that I have used search for 2 days strait now, never owned a scooter before, but have learned a lot from your guys's posts.
JustynCRX
Spree
Spree

Re: Noob in need of help.. 87 Elite 50 S Leaking oil like a

Post by JustynCRX »

Dio plug works on SE50. Plug it up and run premix.
JJ Joseph
Spree
Spree

Post by JJ Joseph »

Don't remove the oil pump. It's useful and does a good job, and your engine will last a whole lot longer with it than without it. Running without an oil pump is like going back 75 years in history. It comes out with one screw, so take it off and check for a loose connection. You might have to remove the exhaust pipe to get at it more easily.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Agreed... you need to be able inspect the pump. It is easy to remove. You will need to remove the plastics. Got to be something simple.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Honda oil pumps do seem to develop leakage as they get older. The leak is usually into the crankcase however. If it's leaking outside and onto the ground (and the crankcase isn't completely full...) that pump is kaput. Everyone but JJ is correct; the simplest thing to do is pre-mix. There are cloned pumps on eBay from Asia that may or may not work much better than your fried one. Sometimes the HUNDREDS of modders who remove their pumps will sell you a good one to replace yours. However they seem to have a lifespan whose end is announced with a leak.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH