2001 Elite S kick issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Duosport
Spree
Spree

Re: 2001 Elite S kick issue

Post by Duosport »

So I must have a shard or two of piston fragment in my engine. How do I find them and get them out?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Seldom are there not hundreds of crumbs of aluminum oxide - good for making sandpaper - in your main bearings. Even if you fish out a couple chunks of piston, how will you sleep at night knowing the missed bits are chewing up the top end?

The ONLY way is to spend an evening stripping and splitting the cases, knock out the bearings, and wash and reassemble with new parts. It's easy and you will learn. Specifically why we don't use starter spray on a 2-stroke, for example.

Good luck.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Seldom are there not hundreds of crumbs of aluminum oxide - good for making sandpaper - in your main bearings. Even if you fish out a couple chunks of piston, how will you sleep at night knowing the missed bits are chewing up the top end?

The ONLY way is to spend an evening stripping and splitting the cases, knock out the bearings, and wash and reassemble with new parts. It's easy and you will learn. Specifically why we don't use starter spray on a 2-stroke, for example.

Good luck.
I am trying to fish through your sarcasm to find out what you are really suggesting. Are you saying do not bother with the bits of metal that dropped in? As far as the starter fluid, I hope you are not trying to suggest I caused this damage. This is the problem with typed words and sarcasm.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

The ONLY way is to spend an evening stripping and splitting the cases, knock out the bearings, and wash and reassemble with new parts
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

evilone wrote:The ONLY way is to spend an evening stripping and splitting the cases, knock out the bearings, and wash and reassemble with new parts
Well I need to get rid of this scooter then. Maybe part out the scooter and cut my losses.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sorry, Duosport - there was NO sarcasm intended. Just stating fact. You typed:
I have the carb cleaned up well and put a new plug in. I have a good spark and gasoline in the bowl. I primed the cylinder with some starter fluid and crank it over and I get nothing. I tried this several times. With some starter fluid in the cylinder I should at least get a little pop.
Unlubricated solvent thins the oil in the crankcase, leaving the piston-cylinder interface completely dry. Whether the damage was already done by the P.O. or not, you may have unknowingly put the final nail in the coffin.

Since you spent good money on kickstarter parts, I hate to see you give up now. There's really not much more to buy to get this scooter running. A good used top end and bearings might be found for cheap here on the Forum as people install big-bores on a good-running stocker. Sometimes stock is just fine . There's good help here too. But I mean it when I say that a shredded piston REQUIRES complete disassembly - and that disassembly is pretty easy (and fun, and of value in learning) to do.

Hope this all works out. If you go the other way, your crank and cases are worth something, as are all the other bits if you're patient enough to part out and wait for buyers. I apologize if I sounded snarky - again it was unintended.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Sorry, Duosport - there was NO sarcasm intended. Just stating fact. You typed:
I have the carb cleaned up well and put a new plug in. I have a good spark and gasoline in the bowl. I primed the cylinder with some starter fluid and crank it over and I get nothing. I tried this several times. With some starter fluid in the cylinder I should at least get a little pop.
Unlubricated solvent thins the oil in the crankcase, leaving the piston-cylinder interface completely dry. Whether the damage was already done by the P.O. or not, you may have unknowingly put the final nail in the coffin....
Sorry but that is a load of crap. I bought a non running scooter. cranking over the engine a few times did not cause this. Besides you do not even realize that I put some two stroke oil in the cylinder long before I squirted in some starter fluid. This scooter had sat in someones back yard for a long period of time and I would always put some oil in a cylinder first. Also for your edification after getting the scooter home I discovered the oil reservoir was completely empty. It was obvious that the carburetor was never ever cleaned on this scooter. The previous owner abused it not me.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

they may have but starter fluid is a GAINT no no in the 2stroke world
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Consider me Edified. Just trying to help, brother. I'll stop now.
Wheelman-111
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

NC... Wheelman is about as helpful as a dude you will find for free. He is great at breaking cases too with helpful tips for the guy at home. Check out some of his posts in build section.

He makes good points here... you have the last year elite that needs a rebuild. You can part it out in time and triple your money, or squirel it away for when you luck changes a bit.

Best of luck.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

paulpauly7 wrote:they may have but starter fluid is a GAINT no no in the 2stroke world
In any event there was absolutely no combustion what so ever because I had 38 psi in the cylinder. No combustion of course and of course the piston was already fried.
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

I have read some posts here of people sloshing around gasoline or acetone in the enging case and turning the crank a few times and emptying out the gas and fragments and repeating. I shall try this method as I am not going to split the case and spend hundreds on parts. Of course rebuilding the engine to the nines and replacing everything is the finest way of doing things. I am not going to do the finest thing.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

if you miss a small peace of the piston in the case you will mess up the crank or the bearing ..
then the money you put out for the new top end will be a waste of money .. the best way is to open it up !!!
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

swimmingfree wrote:if you miss a small peace of the piston in the case you will mess up the crank or the bearing ..
then the money you put out for the new top end will be a waste of money .. the best way is to open it up !!!
swimmingfree
The best way is to replace every single old part on the scooter with a new one.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

you may get a way with a new piston and rings and a hone the jug ...
dose the jug have scratch in it ????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet