new to forum and scooters- with problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

peterp2
Noob
Noob

new to forum and scooters- with problem

Post by peterp2 »

hay guys new to the forum have tech question. picked up an 1984 non running spree. the guy could not get it to run after reading threw the forums here i was able to get it started thing i have found wrong with it 1) carb was not getting fuel - fixed petcock, replaced spark plug, installed new air filter
2) starter button would not work,so i unpluged the wire harness and direct wire to battery- starter worked
3) cranked engine for a while 3 sec at a time for a while would not start
4) poured some premix in spark plug hole jumped the starter and the engine fired right up let it idle for 30 min
5) took off starter relay 1 terminal was all crusted up cleaned it put back together start button works great.
6) ran engine for a while starts right up but i ran out of time to play with it. would not rev to high
today- 7) engine fired right up this morning, started to play with air mix screw to get the rpms up to were they should be got rpms up but not smooth
8) when scooter is running on kick stand rpms are screaming wheel is turning fast running how it should.
9) the problem as soon as you try to ride it, it only will get up to 2 or 3 miles per hour and engine won't rev like on kick stand.
were do i go from here guys?
Wheelman-111

Re: new to forum and scooters- with problem

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome PeterP2.
For a guy who has NEVER fired up the hallowed Spree scooter, I've learned a lot about 'em.
Your issue has been expressed many times by others on the Forum. The root cause always seems to be the tiny, resin-clogged Pilot circuit. I'm confident yours needs a thorough cleaning until you can identify the Tiny Pin-* O'Light
4PACarbPinPrick.jpg
4PACarbPinPrick.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
through the bowl-less carb body. Search that term, or simply browse the Technical sections for step-by-step carb cleaning instructions.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
peterp2
Noob
Noob

Post by peterp2 »

how do you get the tiny hole clean ? its clogged carb cleaner not cutting threw it
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

A gallon can of NAPA carb cleaner and patience, my son, patience. Some have resorted to a single stainless brush bristle held in needle-nose pliers or a hemostat. Poke-poke-poke. Spray-spray-spray. If you see it's clogged, that is probably your issue.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
peterp2
Noob
Noob

Post by peterp2 »

thanks wheelman, not very patience. i am seeing some light though looking with a flashlight, just the opposite from your pic cant see light top to bottom but from bottom to top tiny bet of light showing threw, thanks
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Also if it won't rev up beyond a couple mph make sure The airbox is all complete with lid and lid gasket and properly oiled air filter element.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Can you get us a compression reading?
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Take the air/fuel mixture screw out and spray carb cleaner into the port. If it sprays out of the top and the bottom you have cleared the pilot circuit. Also be sure to remover the brass tube under the high speed jet. Be sure to clean the tiny holes that are cross drilled in the tube. I use spray cleaner and compressed air to ensure all ports are clear.
89 Elite E
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

I use a steel guitar string to poke it clear. You can usually get a scrap from the trash at a music store where they replace strings. Just ask for the thinnest string fragment they have. A piece a foot long is perfect.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I used to give guys all the string cut offs they wanted when they used to come in to the music store I ran looking for carb cleaning scraps, the can was full I used to install at least 5 sets a day on customers guitars.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
peterp2
Noob
Noob

Post by peterp2 »

thanks guy but i think my problem is one bolt is stripped to attach the carb to the intake i noticed that when i put back together i think thats were my problem is. i will let you know once i fix
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That is pretty easy to fix. Just take a nut the same thread as the bolt and file or grind it to fit in the space after the trashed threads and use a slightly longer bolt. There are prob better ways to fix the issue but at least this way you won't worry about the threads again for a while. You could tap the threads the next size up or go non metric as well.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock