Need some help getting a 86 Spree running

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

indy111
BMX
BMX

Need some help getting a 86 Spree running

Post by indy111 »

Spree will start and run for about 20 seconds. It will stall instantly if I give it any throttle. I checked the filter in the tank, put on new fuel lines, the petcock will allow fuel to come through if I suck on the vacuum line, totally cleaned out the carb by blowing it out with my air compressor and using carb cleaner then let it soak over night. I even swapped the carb out with one off of my other Spree that runs perfect. There is plenty of spark and the gap is fine. I swapped the muffler as well. What the heck else is there? Very frustrated and stumped. Thanks for any help.
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Re: Need some help getting a 86 Spree running

Post by wentwest »

Vacuum leak? Check the hoses and the intake manifold between the carb and the engine. If it idles, will it idle longer than 20 seconds? If not, check the fuel lines for pinches or clogs, or just replace the line. Do you have an air filer and box on it? If it's just wide open then the mixture is just too lean.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That sounds so much like no airbox cover or the hose is off the carb or the like.

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
indy111
BMX
BMX

Post by indy111 »

There is an air box cover with filter. The hoses are all new and tight.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Double check the air hose from the air box to the carb they can have rotten cracks where you can't see them sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
indy111
BMX
BMX

Post by indy111 »

Here is an update after more trouble shooting. I think it might be a vacuum leak. What am I looking for at the manifold? The hose and connections from the petcock to the manifold are fine. I,m able to give it some gas now, but it still stalls after about 20 seconds. The exhaust will pop some right before it dies. There is white some coming from the exhaust and the plug it getting wet. I have been priming the the carb manually by sucking on the vacuum hose each time I take the carb off witch is often. Hope this helps some. Thanks again.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Water in the crankcase or pipe or tank or all of the above? Just a shot in the dark. Is the plug wet with fuel or water? Or somehow the thing is running super rich. Check the float and needle valve as well as the number on the main jet. A clogged intake on the air box or a clogged pipe could cause a super enriched condition as well as a malfunctioning by starter. The vacuum test for the by starter circuit may prove helpful its in the manual, its easy and no invasive you just need some small hose if you don't have a vacum tester.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bushpigwillie
Spree
Spree

Post by bushpigwillie »

I just had what sounded like the same problem - engine would start and idle but die with throttle. My bystarter was stuck open. I took it apart and turned the spring around to keep it closed and disconnected the power to it. Fixed! Runs like a top! Starts first kick everytime and edge up just fine.
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc
1986 Honda FrankenSpree 49cc
Goped Trailripper 46cc
Bladez Moby 49cc
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

bushpigwillie wrote:I just had what sounded like the same problem - engine would start and idle but die with throttle. My bystarter was stuck open. I took it apart and turned the spring around to keep it closed and disconnected the power to it. Fixed! Runs like a top! Starts first kick everytime and edge up just fine.
HMMMMM, Does it start first kick when engine is cold?
bushpigwillie
Spree
Spree

Post by bushpigwillie »

otto-man wrote:
bushpigwillie wrote:I just had what sounded like the same problem - engine would start and idle but die with throttle. My bystarter was stuck open. I took it apart and turned the spring around to keep it closed and disconnected the power to it. Fixed! Runs like a top! Starts first kick everytime and edge up just fine.
HMMMMM, Does it start first kick when engine is cold?
Yup. Although when its warmed up I have to give er a little throttle to start. Plugs are nice dry tan at 7000 rpm. She's my daily commuter for 2 weeks now.
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc
1986 Honda FrankenSpree 49cc
Goped Trailripper 46cc
Bladez Moby 49cc