Honda Spree not running.(FIXED-ISH)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Primariz
Noob
Noob

Honda Spree not running.(FIXED-ISH)

Post by Primariz »

Hey everybody! glad to be part of this forum.
well, Like everyone else I am having problems with my Honda Spree. I've gone through a lot of posts in here and haven't found anything.

*I've check for spark and even measured the spark plug to .25
*I have cleaned the carburetor well and nothing. I even switched carburetors with another Honda spree to see if that was the problem and nothing.
*I've checked compressing and its showing 90psi. I know it is a bit low but not drastically low that it shouldn't start.
*My petcock is working properly.
*the last thing I did was to take my exhaust off. taking it off seem like it helped a slight bit if I used the kick start. after trying around 10 times with the exhaust off there seem to be a dark liquid coming out. not sure if its normal or not.
HEEELLPP!

I'll post video if needed.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Primariz on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Honda Spree not running.

Post by swimmingfree »

the dark liquid is oil and gas ...pull the plug and heat it up to dry it off ... is the cover on the air filter if not put it on ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Post by Duosport »

How about a new plug?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Depending on how long it sat and if the oil pump leaks a little - not unusual - consider a crankcase full of oil if a simple swap to a new spark plug fails to result in Ignition.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

How old is the fuel in the tank, if its old and skunky that may cause issues. Fresh fuel might be a good idea. A spark tester would be helpful to see if there is spark to begin with. I'd reinstall the pipe, and double check all of the air intake connections, box cover and gasket, air filter clean an oiled properly. Then set the air screw to the number of turns out as prescribed in the manual. Install new plug, and give it a go. You may need to choke the intake of the air box with your fingers a bit while cranking to get it to fire up. If you have no luck getting it to start, I'd go and pull the cylinder and have a look at its condition. With such low compression you may have worn crank seals. And or a worn out top end.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Primariz
Noob
Noob

Post by Primariz »

I got it to run!-ish.

1st:I found a lot of rust in my tank so I ended up switching gas tanks with a buddy for the time.

2nd: changed the exhaust just to be 100% sure that nothing was clogged in there.

3rd:I ended up using ANOTHER carburetor which helped the engine since the screws were adjusted correctly.

result: It seem like it was just clogged up! the engine sounded like it was giving spark and receiving air correctly but it just couldn't. I kept cranking it over and over again until I managed to loosen/burn/move whatever it was clogging it. I've never seen so much smoke come out of a small engine. but it seem like it did the job.
I managed to ride it all the way down the street until I got to the stop sign. right when I was going to give it more gas it stared suffocating.seem like something was a little too rich...after that I couldn't get it to ride. it would have a decent idle(not my carburetor so i couldn't adjust it) but immediately after I give it gas it would choke up. other then tweaking the carb is there something else I should be concern about?

now I have to order a gas tank, gaskets(for the compression issue) , and try to tweak the carburetor to the right settings.

thanks everyone!
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

You can save the tank.... just requires a little work. Vinegar sitting in it for ~ 3 days. There are procedures here for that. Then get a an inline fuel filter.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This should work well for a tank inside and out.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Primariz
Noob
Noob

Post by Primariz »

awesome!
thanks for the idea the electro....whatever. but I dont have half of the things that require for it. I will try the salt and vinegar for sure!

I have a question on a 1985 Honda Elite ch150 belt. don't know if I need to head to a different forum or just ask here.
Wheelman-111

Re: Honda Spree not running.(FIXED-ISH)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Your local Wal-Mart, Tar-Jay, or big supermarket can supply the tub and Laundry Soda for $15. Water may be in your tap. Some wires, alligator clips from the Autoparts store for another $10? Steel stock - just about any hunk O' steel will do - and a working or charged-up car or scooter battery are all you need to do a really nice job.
Wheelman-111
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_ ... a_gas_tank

No one is more knowledgeable than Mr. Wheelman.... his method since he suggested is the best. I have had success on rusty two tanks with Vinegar. It takes more time and patience.

Good Luck.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I've used the electrolosis method for rust removal a bunch since the first of the summer it is like magic. The trick is not using too much washing soda. Use the percsribed amount per gallon and no more. More washing sod won't make it work better only worse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock