Spree Carb

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

romprer
Noob
Noob

Spree Carb

Post by romprer »

I got a spree that sat with fuel in it for about 10-15 years

The carb was plugged with a gummy mess and Ive done the best to clean it out, but it still overflows and idles rough

Also, the oil system was completely plugged, so i disconnected it and Im running premix. What is the right mix for the stock engine?
Duosport
Spree
Spree

Re: Spree Carb

Post by Duosport »

The pilot jet must be cleaned properly to idle. Who did you clean the carburetor? One must run a wire of some sort in the pilot jet and really clean it out.

If you are going to bypass the oil injector system then you must remove the oil pump and plug the opening.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1b-W5Z3Wgg

Here is an old post i did awhile back... it shows the tiny pilot circuit. You need to clean all passages. You can do it. Be careful sticking stuff in the passages... it is recommended to use compressed air.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

You can actually remove the pilot jet and clean it properly. If it idles poorly it is def the pilot jet. Look at the needle and make sure no debri is stuck on the tip. And yes clean the carb with carb cleaner and compressed air. If the carb is real bad use a parts soak solution (barrymans chem dip). Make sure if you use something like chemdip to remove all rubber o-rings or they will swell up big time. lol. been there done that.

Taz
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

If the oil sytsrem is clogged just clean it. The screen in the oil tank is prob clogged up. If it sat that long draining the oil tank is a great plan, as well as pulling the lines and cleaning up them and fresh oil then see if it pumps oil after all that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
romprer
Noob
Noob

Post by romprer »

I took the carb apart again today and cleaned out that little jet and that did fix the idle

The bowl still overflows, so i put in a shut off valve in the fuel line before the carb in order to restrict fuel flow and keep it from overflowing until I figure that out

The oil system is pretty bad. Im probably just gonna tear it out and replace it with something else... but until then Im still running pre mix
romprer
Noob
Noob

Post by romprer »

Is there an oil pump I need to worry about? I dont want to burn it out by running it dry if there is
Pete M
Elite
Elite

Post by Pete M »

Here is the manual. You can read the section on the oiling system.

http://www.hondaspree.net/other/Spree_NQ50_84-87_1.pdf
89 Elite E