2001 honda elite 50 sr throttle revs before acceleration

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

dafilla
BMX
BMX

2001 honda elite 50 sr throttle revs before acceleration

Post by dafilla »

Thanks to all you guys on the forum, I have a incredible running scoot, now that it is running, and took it out for about 20 miles or so, I notice a problem I have had from the start. The best way to describe it would be a car with a problematic first gear. On take off it revs a bit, and then what feels like it catching "1st" gear it will push the bike to go, from there on it works great accelerates from 1- 30 without a problem. Then I will get to a stop light or a complete stop, the same deal, I was getting used to it at stop lights to be quick on the take off, giving it a bit of gas just before it turns greens and then it catches and goes, like a brand new scoot. Would this need a bit of adjusting to the carb? Not sure what I should do since getting it going was a miraculous event, now this d*** thing starts first try. My only gripe would be not a instant acceleration. Any help as always is greatly appreciated! Thank you guys again.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 2001 honda elite 50 sr throttle revs before acceleration

Post by bakaracer »

if it does a quick rev and then the clutch engages, thats normal. there is a slight stall on the clutch . so if the bike is at idle at around 1800+/- 100 rpm. the clutch will engage at around 3800rpm.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

bakaracer wrote:if it does a quick rev and then the clutch engages, thats normal. there is a slight stall on the clutch . so if the bike is at idle at around 1800+/- 100 rpm. the clutch will engage at around 3800rpm.
That sounds about right, with the idling, could this be adjusted with the idle on the carb? It sounds great when idiling and I don't really know all that much about this stuff, I don't really mind it, sure beats sitting dead, just making sure it is nothing serious, makes me look cool revving at stop lights I guess haha. Thank you for the info :)
Last edited by dafilla on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

jacknbs wrote:running like new. is good.
Tell me about it, I replaced a few things, but with 6k on the engine I was expecting it to run a bit rougher, this thing was taking steep hill like a breeze! it is quiet, feels great while idling , not sure how this came about. Just a few days ago I was putting it up on CL for parts.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

1800+/- 100 rpm is stock spec. if you raise it more than that. after coming off a run to a stop the engine will idle a bit to high on a stock carb.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

bakaracer wrote:1800+/- 100 rpm is stock spec. if you raise it more than that. after coming off a run to a stop the engine will idle a bit to high on a stock carb.
Great info! tyvm, I learn something new about these scoots everyday.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

I knew you get get the lost SR back on the road.

Nice work... sounds like you might need a new belt.

There is a slight stall to engage the clutch on the trans... but it should not be clunky.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

I know this is off topic but what'd you have to do to fix the electric start? just kind of curious :D

And yea 1800 +/- is stock specs. Its in the manual in the carb section. Also gives you belt measurements so you can measure to see if its too worn and whether or not you need a new one.
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

swflcarl wrote:I knew you get get the lost SR back on the road.

Nice work... sounds like you might need a new belt.

There is a slight stall to engage the clutch on the trans... but it should not be clunky.
Thanks to all your great advice :D was a blast to ride too, I didn't expect the pickup this thing has. It has been sitting before this for 2 years, past owners prob never changed the belt. The brakes squeaked a bit also, speedometer cuts in and out while riding, but the headlight works which before getting it started didn't which prob is normal, I'm just a noob and bought a cheap bulb to be sure. :p It does feel like a slight stall to engage the clutch on the trans, I brought it back up to my patio, may take a few more weeks, but she still needs tires, brakes, and a new belt to be safe. Those belts don't seem to bad to install, but you might catch me back on here asking about it sooner than later:P.
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

bfowler wrote:I know this is off topic but what'd you have to do to fix the electric start? just kind of curious :D

And yea 1800 +/- is stock specs. Its in the manual in the carb section. Also gives you belt measurements so you can measure to see if its too worn and whether or not you need a new one.
I was checking ebay I thought I remember seeing the starter button and wire after market for like $20, but there is also a post I found on here http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =3&t=10792 That might help you with the electric start. I appreciate the tips. I was wondering how I was going to check to see if the belt is worn, being I never seen a bad or good one haha. I plan on popping the cover off either today or sunday and checking it out. Thanks for the reply, very helpful!
dafilla
BMX
BMX

Post by dafilla »

jacknbs wrote:diospeeddemon has some videos where he talks, and talks about clutches. and talks. heres some videos on him talkign about how the clutch goes. this should show you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtlz94lcykc
ok that dont explain enough. but you see where he puts the spring on and before the shoes are out. the clutch spins and pushes the springs out and the shoes come out and hit the clutch bell that goes around them, which is connected to the spline on the clutch shaft, you put your back driven pulley clutch on, and spins the shaft, which spins the gears and your tire. until the springs get pushed, and start pulling, your clutch isnt spinning. it spins the clutch bell to spin the back tire. see videos of open clutches, where you can see the clutch? you can take your rear cvt cover off and ride like that. when the bell doesnt spin the back tire doesnt. but take it off and sping the bell, youll see the tire spin. the clutch goes in it. look at that, video. that spring on there is what keeps you in idle. if you are idling and going.. then one of them is broke.
I remember when I was trying to start her up before, the back wheel would spin, it looks like when its idling on the stand the back wheel will very slowly move, but when I'm on the scoot at lights, it doesn't seem be try to push or move at all, but when the light turns green, I give it some gas and it does seem like a second before it revs up to push her off. I haven't ridden since the first day I took her out. There is a 22 miles drive from me to the dmv, I'm planning on taking, but was waiting for payday to get a cover and a covered parking spot with a pole. Living in apartments with 0 bike parking, and lots of kids playing around outside is stressful, I kept her out one night, then after that brought the scoot back up to my patio for safe keeping :P. I appreciate the excellent explanation, this will come in handy! and the lead to diodemon, that dude seems to have videos for everything.