Spree Electrical

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Spree Electrical

Post by abreen89 »

On my black spree I lost the key on the beach last summer. I texted bear and he said to just unplug the ignition and put black to red so it will start (push button). So I installed a toggle and have been doing that ever since. I recently disassembles it to clean all the sand out of it and today when I attached the engine everything seemed to be fine. So I reinstalled the toggle switch and was properly mounting it this time and went to flip it and nothing happened. The taillight doesn't turn on the push start wont engage, but it still starts off the kickstarter no problem. I checked the battery and it is brand new fully charge has more then 12 volts in it. So I thought it might be the toggle, so I put the wires directly together and nothing still. the fuse looks fine but just incase I installed another one I had laying around (not a 7amp a lot bigger) and still nothing. I am stumped.
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
patthesoundguy

Re: Spree Electrical

Post by patthesoundguy »

Did the lights ever work with that setup? Sounds to me that you enabled only with jumping only two wires together. I would get the manual and get the schematic out and start tracing. You may need a title with more contacts on it, maybe 3 sets so you can mimic what the ign switch actually does when you turn it. The ign would take one set of contacts and the lights will take another I'm guessing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

you may need to switch the wires around on the toggle switch ...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Make sure you have the wires from the harness connecting together not the wire from the switch. Here is the diagram for the switch opereration. Image
So it looks to me when the switch is off the coil get shorted to ground so no spark, and the connection from the battery and alternator are open. When the switch is on the coil get in shorted from ground you have spark and the battery and alternator circuit gets closed and you have lights and power. It looks to me if you simply pulled the wires off of the ign switch that the motor can start and run but there will be no lights until you connect the two wires on the harness as bear said red to black, red is the feed from the battery. Image
If the battery power is getting through the fuse you should have 12 volts give or take, between the red wire at the harness end for the switch and ground.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Did the lights ever work with that setup? Sounds to me that you enabled only with jumping only two wires together. I would get the manual and get the schematic out and start tracing. You may need a title with more contacts on it, maybe 3 sets so you can mimic what the ign switch actually does when you turn it. The ign would take one set of contacts and the lights will take another I'm guessing.

yes worked just like I had an ignition before I took it apart.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

swimmingfree wrote:you may need to switch the wires around on the toggle switch ...
swimmingfree
ive connected them bypassing the toggle no go.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

patthesoundguy wrote:Make sure you have the wires from the harness connecting together not the wire from the switch. Here is the diagram for the switch opereration. Image
So it looks to me when the switch is off the coil get shorted to ground so no spark, and the connection from the battery and alternator are open. When the switch is on the coil get in shorted from ground you have spark and the battery and alternator circuit gets closed and you have lights and power. It looks to me if you simply pulled the wires off of the ign switch that the motor can start and run but there will be no lights until you connect the two wires on the harness as bear said red to black, red is the feed from the battery. Image
If the battery power is getting through the fuse you should have 12 volts give or take, between the red wire at the harness end for the switch and ground.
okay so will the bike still start (via kickstart) without a fuse? Im running a much bigger fuse then I should because I didn't have an 7amp ones laying around could that be my problem?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

is the kill switch on???
do you have spark???
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

swimmingfree wrote:is the kill switch on???
do you have spark???
swimmingfree
yes the bike starts fine with the kick start but I have not brake light or electric start capabilities while the bike is not running. But it will kick start whether the ignition wires are connected or not which I find odd.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

try just twisting the wires to gather ...the switch ma be bad ....
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

swimmingfree wrote:try just twisting the wires to gather ...the switch ma be bad ....
swimmingfree
when I said bypassing the switch this is what I mean. Ive twisted the wires together no go.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

If you had the engine totally off of the frame then recheck all the ground connections and plug connectors. I'm pretty sure you have already done this but sometimes we just assume we have done everything correctly. If it worked right before it will probably be something super simple.
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

dun rite wrote:If you had the engine totally off of the frame then recheck all the ground connections and plug connectors. I'm pretty sure you have already done this but sometimes we just assume we have done everything correctly. If it worked right before it will probably be something super simple.
yea it was working fine after I reassembled the bike but when I installed the switch nothing happened and now when I connect black to red directly nothing happens. I really am stumped.
dun rite
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by dun rite »

try jumping the starter directly from the battery?
taz 50mm bbk, 51g. rollers,1500 c spring
24mm arreche, #20 pilot, E2 needle clip on lower groove
arreche air filter
Naruku intake, reeds & block
v8 pipe
stock gears
trail tech temp & rpm gauges
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Im betting its something simple like a wire off, a test light and or multimeter youll trace it. Something isn't getting power upstream of the connection that you made with the red an black wire. It still runs because the power feed and ign are sperate parts of the switch and the key switch cuts the motor by grounding out the coil by making a circuit, so if you pull all four wires from the switch and then just connect the red and black the coil isn't grounded by the switch anymore so its always able to fire unless The kill switch on the bar is set to off. I say pull the fuse and touch the two fuse wires together and see if the tail light lights up and the starter will bark. Use the parking brake so you don't have to hold the brakes on. If you only made one change when the issue came up then troubleshooting logic says its related. Those bullet connectors can come apart if you sneeze sideways down the street sometimes, maybe there is a wire off upstream if its not the fuse. Don't start tearing things apart you may cause more issues, keep it simple at first then get deeper into taking things apart.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock