I Just Cleaned the Carb now it won't run !!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Juanzx
BMX
BMX

I Just Cleaned the Carb now it won't run !!!

Post by Juanzx »

hey you guys well i just cleaned the carb of my honda spree 1986 ... it was running just fine before i cleaned it but it would turn off on me after a couple of minutes so i thought maybe the carb needs to be clean. So i cleaned it today now it won't even start at all please help :(
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Re: I Just Cleaned the Carb now it won't run !!!

Post by bfowler »

Maybe you connected the gas line and the vacuum line wrong? I did that on my elite. Suck on the 2 tubes going to the carb from the petcock. One is the vacuum and the other is the fuel line. When you suck on one, gas will come out of the other which is how you can tell what is what. The fuel line goes to the carb and the vacuum goes to the intake.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

I know a guy who didn't put the throttle cable slide / needle back in the top of the carb incorrectly (me).

The long groove on the throttle body / needle assembly fits over a small tab toward the inside of the bike. If you had done this incorrectly, you will have little to no play on the twist throttle grip on the handle bar.

Its a long shot... but I thought I would suggest.

Also make sure you put the brown spacer with gasket on correctly between the intake and the carb... you can have it reversed or upside down. Also note that the gasket side (rubber o' ring) goes toward the intake side.

We will get this figured out. Report what you have checked.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Juanzx
BMX
BMX

Post by Juanzx »

Thanks you you guys so much tomorrow morning in going to check for every one of your suggestions and I'll make a video so u guys can see what I'm dealing with again thanks u guys :) :) :)
Juanzx
BMX
BMX

Post by Juanzx »

You guys I made a video so u can see a more detail version of what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxQ9Fr62 ... ata_player
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

Download the service manual... read it in regards to the carb.

Review wikispreedia on carb cleaning.

I like to change lines to clear ones... allows you so see what is going on. You have the original vacuum line... it could be bad.

Turn / open the drain screw on the carb to see if you are getting fuel to the carb.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
bushpigwillie
Spree
Spree

Post by bushpigwillie »

Lets start with the easily overlooked stuff.
Is the engine stop switch on the right handlebar in the "run" position?

Have you confirmed which line the fuel comes out of when sucking on the other line?

Is the carb manifold gasket on upside down?

Is the carb needle seated down in the main jet when you reinstalled the needle and slide?

Is the slide in backwards? (normally, doing this would cause it to take off and rev high when started. But if there already was a carb blockage it might not run at that position.)

After you try to start, pull the spark plug. Is it still dry or wet like it's getting too much fuel?

Is the air intake boot completely on the carb and sealed?

Did you disassemble the float system? check for the movement catching on something or if the needle is opening to let fuel into the bowl.

Just some steps to go through. Let us know what you find.
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc
1986 Honda FrankenSpree 49cc
Goped Trailripper 46cc
Bladez Moby 49cc
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

bushpigwillie wrote:Lets start with the easily overlooked stuff.
Is the engine stop switch on the right handlebar in the "run" position?

Have you confirmed which line the fuel comes out of when sucking on the other line?

Is the carb manifold gasket on upside down?

Is the carb needle seated down in the main jet when you reinstalled the needle and slide?

Is the slide in backwards? (normally, doing this would cause it to take off and rev high when started. But if there already was a carb blockage it might not run at that position.)

After you try to start, pull the spark plug. Is it still dry or wet like it's getting too much fuel?

Is the air intake boot completely on the carb and sealed?

Did you disassemble the float system? check for the movement catching on something or if the needle is opening to let fuel into the bowl.

Just some steps to go through. Let us know what you find.
I think you covered just about everything great post :-D

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

bfowler wrote:Maybe you connected the gas line and the vacuum line wrong? I did that on my elite. Suck on the 2 tubes going to the carb from the petcock. One is the vacuum and the other is the fuel line. When you suck on one, gas will come out of the other which is how you can tell what is what. The fuel line goes to the carb and the vacuum goes to the intake.
The vacuum line is the lower hose on the petcock.....careful, gas tastes terrible!!!!
Juanzx
BMX
BMX

Post by Juanzx »

well ok you guys i made 2 videos basically explaining what i did ....
if you have any suggestions in what i did wrong please let me know thank you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP2GOvni ... ata_player

http://youtu.be/V-7TKaVSV2s
Last edited by Juanzx on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

There is no fuel in the carb so of course it won't start on two kicks. You could probably kick it all day long and never get it to start. Open the float bowl drain screw pull the vacuum line from the intake tube apply vac um to it until fuel comes out of the drain hose of the float bowl then close the drain screw put the vacuum line back then kick it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

OOps. PTSG got there before me, but I'll add my own version:
I didn't watch the entire video. If you haven't done this already, consider:
Pull the small-diameter petcock line off the manifold. Suck... er, apply negative pressure using an OSHA-Approved vacuum pump device, exercising caution and using all appropriate Safety Gear. This pre-fills the bowl and reduces the Kick Count. IF there's nothing else wrong... Spark Plug, compression, reeds, crank seals... She should ignite.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Another possible thing could be to make sure you have to spark plug cap fully seated on the spark plug. I was a dummy and didn't have it fully seated and looked over my scooter many times trying to figure out why it wouldn't start.
Juanzx
BMX
BMX

Post by Juanzx »

My fellow honda spree friends I have good news and bad new !!!!

Good news the scooter starts :drama:

Bad news when I pull the throttle it turns off :*:

it turns on but as soon as i pull back the throttle to make it go boom it turns off

Tomorrow im performing and oil change, spark plug change, new gas and idk what else do you guys suggest ??

Thank you soo much you guys just starting my scooter again means soo much to me :) :worship:
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

What made it run? I'm guessing it was the no fuel in the carb?

Maybe you should check the spark plug gap? Been reading that a lot lately and seems like that plays a big role. I believe it should be gapped to .025. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Aside from those thjngs, you should clean the fuel strainer and add an in-line fuel filter. Maybe even add some clear fuel hose, nice to be able to see what's going on with your fuel incase things in the future come up. Also clean the airfilter element or just buy a new airfilter, only about $7 from the Honda dealer.