86 spree won't run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bushpigwillie
Spree
Spree

Re: 86 spree won't run

Post by bushpigwillie »

I have left the oil pump in place and just snipped the lines short and put bb's in the lines to seal. Then switched over to premix (oil in gas)
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc
1986 Honda FrankenSpree 49cc
Goped Trailripper 46cc
Bladez Moby 49cc
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Don't leave the pump in running dry, it will fail and take out your cylinder. I have wondered if you could just take a piece of line and fill the pump and line with oil, bleed out any air and run the pump in a continuous loop so it wont burn up. Just a thought. You should grind the teeth off of the end of the shaft or pull the pump and plug the hole.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bushpigwillie
Spree
Spree

Post by bushpigwillie »

patthesoundguy wrote:Don't leave the pump in running dry, it will fail and take out your cylinder. I have wondered if you could just take a piece of line and fill the pump and line with oil, bleed out any air and run the pump in a continuous loop so it wont burn up. Just a thought. You should grind the teeth off of the end of the shaft or pull the pump and plug the hole.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I've put 500 miles on it like this. That loop line is a good idea. Think i'll try it.
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc
1986 Honda FrankenSpree 49cc
Goped Trailripper 46cc
Bladez Moby 49cc
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

I had success with grinding the gear off the pump and running that way with it still in place, but toothless. TrafficJamz explained it to me as necessary to leave the mechanism in to "stuff" the crankcase. Use a side grinder-real easy, plus you gain a wee bit of power not dragging the oil pump.
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
09 Nautilus "Seahorse" (homebuilt)
10 Nautilus "Seabrook" (homebuilt)[/color]
79 Honda Express
67 Harley~Davidson golf cart
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

My 84 spree has a very porous yellow air filter. My 86 has a dense grey air filter. Is there any preference in these? I put the dense one in my 84 because it looked better, but is it going to hurt performance?
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
09 Nautilus "Seahorse" (homebuilt)
10 Nautilus "Seabrook" (homebuilt)[/color]
79 Honda Express
67 Harley~Davidson golf cart
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

fairlead wrote:My 84 spree has a very porous yellow air filter. My 86 has a dense grey air filter. Is there any preference in these? I put the dense one in my 84 because it looked better, but is it going to hurt performance?
Honda stock air filters arent yellow as far as I know. Buy only the honda oem filters. The yellow filter is probably bad idea it might not meter the air as the proper one will so you could be running lean

Sent from my LG-C800G using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock