Is my spark plug in expected condition after 300 miles?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: Is my spark plug in expected condition after 300 miles?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Not a troll! Evidently it CAN run with the stuff you use in your minivan, but the plug won't give reliable color readings, and it must smell funny. 4-stroke motor oils lubricate, but have the wrong additives for our total-loss systems Honda dealer can supply GN-2 or a quality 2-stroke aftermarket oil. I recommend you drain and refill without delay.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Not a troll! Evidently it CAN run with the stuff you use in your minivan, but the plug won't give reliable color readings, and it must smell funny. 4-stroke motor oils lubricate, but have the wrong additives for our total-loss systems Honda dealer can supply GN-2 or a quality 2-stroke aftermarket oil. I recommend you drain and refill without delay.
I will do that today. I fail at life exceedingly well apparently. Hopefully I will get some sort of medal for being so pathetic.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

I just looked at like 15 nearby store sites and couldn't find any that carry honda gn2 or any oil that looks like the right substitute. Anybody want to tell me a common oil that works for honda spree? The nearest honda dealer is hours away so if that is the only place to get it then I must find something else. Please help before I get the wrong stuff again. Can somebody tell me something like "yes, walmart carries ____ oil which is fine for honda spree" or perhaps "yes, auto zone carries _____ and your honda spree can use it?" The only thing I saw at any store nearby was some tcw3 stuff which I read was for watercooled 2-strokes and not aircooled. Is that oil fine? Has anybody here ever bought the oil from any store other than a honda dealer or do I have to do a rain dance, maximize my political poll and please the gods before I can obtain the right oil?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Yamalube 2S

It's for motorcycles and scooters. It works just fine.

Check the local motorcycle shops.

Good luck
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

lol i love this thread!!!!

I'm sorry you are having trouble when its rideing season. hats off Mr. pancakesauce for proving a lot of people wrong and putting 2800 miles on with 4stroke oil! although it sounds like you broke your bike. :( ( if it goes 25 its not really broken just has a case of the sprees)

at this point anything would be better than what you are doing. 2 stroke is available at a gas station like graphite said. but in case you like AUto zone here is a link to 2 stroke oils that will work for you. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... e/_/N-25vj

if you have an Orileys in your area they have a compression tester you can rent and use on site for free.
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

well he at least proved me wrong, i would have guessed his motor would have blown up at thousands of miles ago.
84 Aero af05e Ruckus variator, rear metro wheel, Leovince pipe ( work in process... porting , nh80 reeds intake carb)
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

mmeadows wrote:lol i love this thread!!!!

I'm sorry you are having trouble when its rideing season. hats off Mr. pancakesauce for proving a lot of people wrong and putting 2800 miles on with 4stroke oil! although it sounds like you broke your bike. :( ( if it goes 25 its not really broken just has a case of the sprees)

at this point anything would be better than what you are doing. 2 stroke is available at a gas station like graphite said. but in case you like AUto zone here is a link to 2 stroke oils that will work for you. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... e/_/N-25vj

if you have an Orileys in your area they have a compression tester you can rent and use on site for free.
I'm glad I was able to entertain you :love: . Also, thanks for the info on 2 stroke oils. I basically went from being a kid who knew nothing about engines to being a kid with a moped and still knew nothing about engines at age 15 so I did whatever people told me. I will be more careful now. I will post back after I swap the oils and find time to test my spree. No Orileys nearby but I think a friend of mine has a compression tester.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
mmeadows
Elite
Elite

Post by mmeadows »

dont worry man we all make noob mistakes we just dont all post them. i have had to garage bikes just from trying to change the spark plug :/ lol
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

Replaced the oil. So far no change in performance but it really does smell nice now. Shot out some puffs of smoke when I started it but after driving around I only smelled it and it didn't have the cloud of smoke from warmup. I recall noticing that my main jet had the number 65 on it and yesterday I read 65 is for restricted Iowa sprees. Is that true or is 65 correct? To be honest I think both of my sprees had 65 on the main jets. Also my back tire has a grinding sand-like sound when I spin it either direction. Is there a spot to lubricate it by taking the tire off? I don't want to damage the gasket for the gears.
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

If you have 65 jets do the scooters have washers in the pipe as well? That's important. No restriction washer in the pipe needs a 68 jet in the carb.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

patthesoundguy wrote:If you have 65 jets do the scooters have washers in the pipe as well? That's important. No restriction washer in the pipe needs a 68 jet in the carb.

Im not sure how I can find the washer but the jets say K65 on them both. Is there a method to finding the washer?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

UPDATE: I borrowed my coworker's compression tester. The highest reading I could get was 80 lbs (warm engine, throttle wide open, 4 kicks). Looks like the minivan oil took it's toll or the 6,720 miles are on original piston/rings? I did a reading on my other spree and the highest I could get was about 65 lbs even though I got it running before with a penny and a sock (don't ask). Either way a swap doesn't look like an option unless I got a donated engine or something.

I went to the bank today and something completely random happened to me. A guy rolled up on a custom Honda Metropolitan and told me he can fix my spree, told me where to find him, then putted off into the sunset. I will be going to his house tomorrow to see if he can help me fix it or if he knows a way for me to get a Metropolitan. I personally don't think I have the tools, money or know-how to do piston work. If it were just rings that I need then perhaps I could afford it but that is probably a longshot considering the minivan oil? I suppose I still have 24 mph transportation that can't climb hills until it completely dies :nervous: . Still, I really appreciate all the help so far. I learned a lot about my spree and oil which I can carry with me for the future.

I attached a couple decent photos inside the spark plug holethat I took with my iPod 5th gen. I will upload them for laughs :woot: .
Attachments
spree hole spark plug 2.png
spree hole spark plug 2.png (184.42 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Minivan oil = bad
Minivan oil = bad
spree hole spark plug 1.png (174.07 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

graphite9 wrote:You always start with compression. Three ingredients create combustion. Compression, air and fuel. If you have fuel and air, your lacking compression. Arent the spree rebuild kits like $50 for a 50cc? I have tossed so many good spree top ends. Sorry for your luck, its al a learning experience. I think you need 90lbs to create combustion..

Wait did you use a comp gauge with a check valve? Did you hold the throttle wide open? I used one without a check valve on my gyro that ran perfect and it read 90. I got a tester WITH a check valve and it jumped to 125. Test it on another known good running bike. If that one reads 65, you most likely are using a gauge not fit for a small motor. There is no way a bike at 65 would even fire. I don't even think 80 would start. Heck your compression on the minivan oil bike might be higher due to all the goo inbetween the rings.
I tried googling a 'check valve' and couldn't really figure out what I was trying to identify. I took a pic of both compression testers. I used the inner tester in the pic. The rubber seal on it is broken but it wasn't able to screw in far enough to reach the seal anyway. They both have a button to release the pressure. The outer comp tester's seals are intact. Should I use the outer comp tester? I would be so happy if compression ended up not being my problem.
Attachments
spree comp testers.png
spree comp testers.png (229.69 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Pancake Sauce wrote:
patthesoundguy wrote:If you have 65 jets do the scooters have washers in the pipe as well? That's important. No restriction washer in the pipe needs a 68 jet in the carb.

Im not sure how I can find the washer but the jets say K65 on them both. Is there a method to finding the washer?
Yup the washer is welded in to the exhaust port end of the exhaust where it bolts to the cylinder. Pull the pipe and have a look. I'm going to bet that almost 7000 miles on that piston and rings if they are the original are likely toast. Looking in the sparkplug hole won't do much to see the condition of the cylinder walls really, just pull the cylinder head and take a pic of the cylinder walls. I predict something like this is in your future http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-NQ50-SPRE ... 1f&vxp=mtr ;-)

Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Pancake Sauce
Goped
Goped

Post by Pancake Sauce »

UPDATE: I tested the engine cold with the other tester and got 100 psi every time. Does that mean my low power, winding rpm and slow top speed is from something else?
'09 Honda Metropolitan
'83 Honda Aero 80