my moped is bogging out

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: my moped is bogging out

Post by paulpauly7 »

rollers could be to light
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Kolb706
BMX
BMX

Post by Kolb706 »

my spark plug cap was loose and the end of my spark plug wire was burnt. mahalo
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

How is it working now? Glad to hear you found something that might have been causing the problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MetalMilitiaXV
BMX
BMX

Post by MetalMilitiaXV »

Hey everybody. first time on the forum, first time on a scooter.

just bought an 89 elite 50cc yesterday with almost 6000 miles on it and i'm having a similar issue.

sometimes when i'm just sitting it'll die on me, sometimes when i try going from a dead stop it dies on me, and it doesn't respond right away to throttle input. i usually give it a push with my feet for fear that it'll die trying to go from a dead stop. after my 8 hour shift today, it didn't wanna start up at all. after trying for a few minutes i finally got it to stay running but it died immediately when i came to a stop but started right back up. when it's idling and the parking brake is not engaged, it spins the wheel, the guy i bought it from said that's the way the clutch is made (any confirmation on this?). also, i bought it with a full tank and now it's only reading about 1/3 to 1/2 tank and i've gone no more than 20 miles. once i get it parked it smells like it's running hot and/or burning oil, not sure if that's just the way small engines are though

if i recall correctly, the guy said it's got a rebuilt/replaced top end (can someone tell me exactly what the "top end" is please?), bored out, and i believe he did something to the exhaust too. it's also got an old battery that needs replacing soon or now

let me know what you think please. this is my first scooter and third vehicle ever so i know little to nothing about working on engines, though i'm more than willing to learn and can figure out how to take apart/reassemble things with relative ease
scooter: best friend to someone with a DUI conviction ;)
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Post by deuce217 »

Metal,
the idle sounds like it is a bit high. The air fuel mixture screws is probably out of adjustment if it dies while at idle or when stopping. If you dont like the wheel spinning you can look into getting some new 1500 rpm clutch springs they will prevent the clutch from engaging when at idle and help you accelerate when at a dead stop. This is because your scooter makes power around 5k rpms and higher but the torque is very limited when at low rpms. This is similar to the way a toque converter works on an automatic transmission. Dont buy 3,000 rpm springs for in town riding becuase it will require way more effort just to drive through town, and you will waste tons of fuel.

Top End,

This would be the jug, piston, piston rings, gaskets, wrist pin, wrist pin clips, etc. If he bored it out he may have installed a larger aftermarket jug (the jug is the cast iron cylinder that the piston slides up and down in. This would be similar to the block on a 4 stroke engine except the intake and exhaust ports are also included on the jug. A 4 stroke has them on the cylinder head.

You need to read throught the stickies which are on the top of the different discussion rooms, read through the wikispreedia link. You will learn a bunch. Good luck, the owners manual will explain everything clearly also. You can findf these things on the bottom right of this page under the "jump to" scroll down to "honda service/ owner's manuals."

I recommend uploading a bunch of photos on your own thread under general chit chat. Take all the plastic off show us the engine, exhaust, carb, jug. We should be able to help you find out what exactly you have.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
MetalMilitiaXV
BMX
BMX

Post by MetalMilitiaXV »

word, i'll get some pictures up soon and everything everyone else has said was something to do with the carb, clean it or adjust it. i know it's something simple
MetalMilitiaXV
BMX
BMX

Post by MetalMilitiaXV »

a friend down the street came over and turned a screw on the carb and it works fine now, and i got a little more punch from a dead stop, no more throttle delay. before, when it was running, when i let off the throttle it would still go like the throttle was stuck. now when i let off, it instantly slows down with significant resistance. which of these two scenarios is normal for a scooter? also, it died one time on my ride at a stop sign and i had to kick start it a couple times, probably just that old battery that i have
MetalMilitiaXV
BMX
BMX

Post by MetalMilitiaXV »

you just want it for the paint job lol