Honda Gyro WHITE SMOKE from exhaust

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

beno
Noob
Noob

Honda Gyro WHITE SMOKE from exhaust

Post by beno »

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 1986 Honda Gyro on craigslist and since I've had it I've cleaned the carb, installed a brand new air filter, new battery, cleaned fuel lines and tank and I was pretty easily able to start it after that.

The only problem is that a lot of white smoke is pouring out of the exhaust. In the next week I'm going to replace the oil and see if that helps.

The person I bought it from has had it sitting in his garage for the last "10-15" years. The Gyro only has 575 miles on it so I'm going to assume the original oil is still in it. It being that old, is that enough to cause the white smoke?

Any ideas? Advice?

Thanks!!!
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Honda Gyro WHITE SMOKE from exhaust

Post by martynkim »

Fuel has leaked into the cylinder over the years from a leaky petcock. It should burn off.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

What Marty said, but verify the PO didnt use car oil too.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
beno
Noob
Noob

Post by beno »

Alright so I've been riding it off and on all throughout the day and the amount of WHITE SMOKE has decreased significantly! So more than likely it does just need to burn out.

As far as the oil goes I want to change it considering the oil in it is 20+ years old. And forgive me if I come off as stupid but in the manual it states to use 2 stroke injector oil as the engine oil. Now, I was at walmart and only saw 8oz bottles of 2 stroke... am I supposed to just buy multiple bottles to fill it up? or am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help!
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

beno wrote:Alright so I've been riding it off and on all throughout the day and the amount of WHITE SMOKE has decreased significantly! So more than likely it does just need to burn out.

As far as the oil goes I want to change it considering the oil in it is 20+ years old. And forgive me if I come off as stupid but in the manual it states to use 2 stroke injector oil as the engine oil. Now, I was at walmart and only saw 8oz bottles of 2 stroke... am I supposed to just buy multiple bottles to fill it up? or am I missing something here?

Thanks for the help!

Please don't buy oil at Wallyworld. I have never seen anything on the shelf worthwhile unless you intend to use it in your chainsaw. Go to an auto store or better yet, a Honda Motorcycle dealer look for GN2 2 stroke injection oil. About $5 a quart. If you go to an auto parts store I have used amsoil but, it is a little more spendy.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
66SIX
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 66SIX »

Glad you got a GYRO I would love to see some pics of it .
beno
Noob
Noob

Post by beno »

Thanks a lot everyone!

Smoke is decreased and almost non existent. I will head to the honda dealer and pick up some GN2 today!

Another question: the gyro seems to lose power right around 10-15mph and then it will take quite a long time to accelerate up to top speed. Any ideas?

I have the Gyro in peices, but once I get it cleaned up and put back together I'll make sure to post some pictures.
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!