Honda Gyro Random Loss Of Acceleration

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

beno
Noob
Noob

Honda Gyro Random Loss Of Acceleration

Post by beno »

Alright so...

I have my Gyro running and it idles fine. The problems come when I'm riding it. SOMETIMES it will accelerate fine up to about 10mph... then it sort of peaks and won't accelerate for 20 seconds or so... then it will pick up and quickly get up to top speed.

SOMETIMES it will be a slow acceleration from the start then after about 10mph it will pick up speed just fine.

I'm at a loss... Any advice?

Carb cleaned twice.
Brand new clean airfilter.
New fuel.
New oil.
New spark plug.

Thanks!
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: Honda Gyro Random Loss Of Acceleration

Post by mousewheels »

Do you find the hesitation is also linked to the transmission shifting?

I've had Gyro's which had shifting issues. 10-15 mph is about the right speed for it.
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

Try cheking the variator? Maybe bunked up weights can't roll, flats opts on them? Maybe the boss is dirty and the ramp is having a hard time sliding all the way in not allowing the belt to rise up to the top fast enough?

Just a few possibilities
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Cherreh SR wrote:Try cheking the variator? Maybe bunked up weights can't roll, flats opts on them? Maybe the boss is dirty and the ramp is having a hard time sliding all the way in not allowing the belt to rise up to the top fast enough?
No belt, no variator, no rollers weights - US Gyros (1986 HONDA GYRO in beno's sig) use a two speed centrifugal clutch transmission.
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

Ahh ok didn't know, sorry about that!
beno
Noob
Noob

Post by beno »

mousewheels wrote:Do you find the hesitation is also linked to the transmission shifting?

I've had Gyro's which had shifting issues. 10-15 mph is about the right speed for it.

There seems to be a pretty close correlation with the gyro shifting and seeing a loss of acceleration.

Have you seen that with your gyro's? Find a fix?

Thanks again.
1987 HONDA SPREEEEEEEE

1984 HONDA GYRO NN50!!!

1986 HONDA GYRO!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

My problem and a friends were a friction issue on the transmissions clutches:

- In increasing order of effort
1) Try changing the oil. On refill, make an oil labeled as safe for use with wet clutches is used. I used Motul from the cycle shop
Automotive oil additives such as graphite can impair shifiting
2) Remove the transmission and inspect clutches. If worn they will need replacing. Hondas recommeded inspection point is every 2000 miles, but they can run much longer before being worn out.
3) If clutches look ok, clean with brake cleaner then lightly sand the clutches, refill with oil in #1.
Garadactyl
Noob
Noob

Post by Garadactyl »

I used to have that problem also. But that was when we were tinkering with the Carb cause it wouldnt stay idling.

I do have a question that someone may be able to answer. I have an 85 Gyro S that on first start up will idle fine, I will take it up the road and come back, (maybe 1/5 of a mile) and then it does not want to idle at all unless the idle screw is messed with. Once adjusting the idle screw I will take it back up the road (same distance) and when I get back it doesnt want to idle again. Bought another card off same year Gyro S, and found that there was a tube broke off in the bowl. In the photos you can see what I am talking about. Red is the new carb and green is the old one. Is there any way to take that tube out of the old one and put it in the new?
New Carb
New Carb
IMG_20130721_125520.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 3504 times
Old Carb.
Old Carb.
IMG_20130721_125526.jpg (56.73 KiB) Viewed 3504 times