Loss of power

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Loss of power

Post by Cherreh SR »

72 cast molossi, 28OKO 50 and 145 jetting, ct manifold, scorpion pipe, molossi delta clutch and bell, 9to1 gears, molossi Kevlar belt.

After a consistent 20 min of 40- whatever speeds my bike starts loosing power, does NOT die or quit just starts being very gutless and gurgles a bit. What's my problem here? Am I expecting to much to go this long running wise? I'm running 4oz of Motul 800 in a full tank.
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Loss of power

Post by paulpauly7 »

have you got a temp guage ? whats you temps at
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

I have no clue. No temp gauge I couldn't find one anywhere local
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

ebay
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

Get a trail tech CHT. Need the one for 14mm spark plug
Might wanna pull the head and see what the piston looks like
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

Ok so aircraft spruce sells the westach 100-600 cht and the 14mm type J thermocoupler wire. $66 for the gauge $28 for the wire which is cheaper than I've seen from any scooter part guy.

Does anyone know what was going on when this was happening? Was I soft seizing? What could have been causing this? Maybe my main is to small?

I've never needed a temp gauge on my old arnada in Hawaii and never had these problems.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

have you done a plug crop on it????
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

Not an official chop where you get it up to temp then put a new plug in, run at WOT then kill it and look.

A real plug chop technically isn't possible on the mopeds and there is no way to install a new plug run it WOT and kill the motor unless you can somehow reach down and pull the cap off the plug at WOT.

I'd say I'm running around 15 to 1. Optimal is 14.7 to 1 but its not possible to get a perfect 14.7 to 1. Can go as lean as 17 to 1 and rich as 13 to 1 but I believe I'm in that 15 to 1 safe zone air to fuel so I'm not understanding why it's doing this.
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

This is my plug after riding. The white looking ring is just a glare from the metal surrounding the porcelain inside.

Checked my air screw and I'm only 1/4 turn out.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Cherreh SR wrote:Not an official chop where you get it up to temp then put a new plug in, run at WOT then kill it and look.

A real plug chop technically isn't possible on the mopeds and there is no way to install a new plug run it WOT and kill the motor unless you can somehow reach down and pull the cap off the plug at WOT.

I'd say I'm running around 15 to 1. Optimal is 14.7 to 1 but its not possible to get a perfect 14.7 to 1. Can go as lean as 17 to 1 and rich as 13 to 1 but I believe I'm in that 15 to 1 safe zone air to fuel so I'm not understanding why it's doing this.
Use the kill switch it kills the spark same as pulling the boot off. I do plug chops on my scooters. I leave the side plastic cover off, pop a new plug in and do a 1/4 mile or more WOT leave the throttle WOT while killing it so the pilot doesn't scew the results. Pull it and look. Now my question is how much is a full tank of gas, you may need a richer main to compensate for the amount of oil you are using. A CHT gauge is about 40$ from trail tech I have two. You are flying blind with out a temp gauge. Temps can rise with out warning to danger zone from less fuel flow than normal if the the gas tank is almost empty. Anything can happen but if you don't have the information to deal with it a squeaked motor will be the result which in turn means walk home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Cherreh SR wrote:This is my plug after riding. The white looking ring is just a glare from the metal surrounding the porcelain inside.

Checked my air screw and I'm only 1/4 turn out.
Unless you do a proper plug chop reading the plug doesn't really tell you much. The idle air screw means nothing at WOT. But it being 1/4 turn out tells you is if it runs properly there is that you might need a bigger pilot jet. You want the screw to be out far enough when it is set right to give you some room to move to adjust for different conditions. A little change in ambient temps could mean you have no more adjustment left in the screw.

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

I thought of the trail tech but I'd really like to stick with a mechanical gauge.

Maybe your right about the main, ill have to pull the jets and go up on both.

I'm really just trying to get it right to sell it. It's the first S I've ever built and I'm not liking it as much as my old Arnada. I'm thinking of either selling to buy a ratty S and put a bad * water cooled stroker in it. Or maybe trying a ruckus. Unsure at this point.
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

Btw a full tank is just about a full gallon so roughly 32 to 1 mixture.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

More oil means less fuel, maybe that's all the issue is. I had issues like that with my express, I was messing around with the oil ratio and ran into trouble ;-) you are doing the right thing by sticking with one ratio and tuning to it :-) if you have a larger main I'd try it and see how it goes the worst that can happen is it runs too rich ;-) I'm sticking with 32:1 on my express for now it seems happy there.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Cherreh SR
BMX
BMX

Post by Cherreh SR »

Yeah I'll pull the main then and go up. Any recommendations on how big a jump? Up by 2 or 5 or ?