Transmission Noise

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

parker13
Noob
Noob

Transmission Noise

Post by parker13 »

Hi everybody. I recently bought an '86 spree with 2200 miles from my boss for $375. It ran great when I bought it, with the exception of a bad battery, but that's not a problem because a little kickin' doesn't scare me off, anyway, did I pay too much? Also, the main reason I'm posting is that I'm getting an on and off squeal from the transmission. I opened up the case, and the gears are in great shape, no chips or dents, and the bearings didn't look bad either. Do I need new bearings, if so, who can sell them to me?
patthesoundguy

Re: Transmission Noise

Post by patthesoundguy »

What kind of squeal and when and how does it happen? For example does it happen only on take off or is it all the time? Did you check the oil in the final drive gear case. The is a fill drain plug on the side of the gear case, the oil should be level or just trickle out of the hole. Would be a great idea to change that oil anyway and put a little Lucas oil additive in there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
parker13
Noob
Noob

Post by parker13 »

I had recently opened the final drive case and discovered a bad gasket that was leaking oil so last night I cut another out, and when I drained the case no oil came out of the drain hole, but some came out of the case, I believe the level was about 1" below the hole, would that be enough to make it squeal. The squeal is high pitched, and happens whenever moving, you can't hear it when the scooter is running, it's not that loud.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I'd put a little Lucas in it. It could be a bearing making noise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock