Kickstart stuck after I dumped my scooter.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

everst75
Noob
Noob

Kickstart stuck after I dumped my scooter.

Post by everst75 »

Hi guys, I have a 1987 Honda Elite 50 scooter. Yesterday I was riding it when I hit a wet piece of grass the tires lost traction. The scooter was probably going around 8 miles an hour at the time. The scooter feel in a way that it turned on its side and slid. When I righted the scooter I found that the kickstart had dragged against the ground and left a trench. The only other damage are some scratches near the kickstart. After the crash, the kickstart it stuck hard in the upright position. It will not budge a millimeter. I can start and ride the scooter with the electric start but the kickstart remains stuck. What would you guys suggest? Thanks guys for any help!
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Re: Kickstart stuck after I dumped my scooter.

Post by bfowler »

Take the left engine case off and take some pics so we can try to take some guesses and figure out what's wrong. When my scooter fell over on a windy night, all that needed replacing was a $0.70 small circlip.
everst75
Noob
Noob

Post by everst75 »

Sorry I'm new to engines. Would the engine case be lower where the kickstart is or higher near the gas reservoir? Thanks for the reply
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

It's the housing that holds the kickstart. You should download the manual and look over it.

It's on the left side of your bike and the kick start is essentially in the middle of it.
everst75
Noob
Noob

Post by everst75 »

Hi sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I downloaded the manual and looked it over. It looks as if the left cover should come off without having to access the engine. Does it sound correct that I just need to take off the brake line, the pedal and the one bolt to take off the cover? Thanks I really appreciate the help.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

In the manual section 8-2 tells you how to take off the left crankcase and the next few pages have some kickstarter inspection. I don't have an elite 87' elite, I have the 00' elite but according to the manual, you have to remove the rear brake cable from clamp, kickstart pedal, and then the bolts holding on the case. I believe there are 9 bolts holding it on (each little arrow in the picture is a bolt).
everst75
Noob
Noob

Post by everst75 »

Today I took apart the engine and fixed the kickstart. After I took off the case It was evident that the gear was just stuck so I fixed it and it worked. Now the problem is that air is getting sucked into the engine around the case. Do you know where I may be able to buy a replacment gasket?
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

Honda or ebay sell them, look for belt cover gasket or transmission gasket.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.