1985 Spree conversion to kick start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cdterry48
Noob
Noob

1985 Spree conversion to kick start

Post by cdterry48 »

The 1985 spree came with an electric start but no kick start like my 1986. Can I add kick start to the 1985 and if so what parts do I need?

Thanks
patthesoundguy

Re: 1985 Spree conversion to kick start

Post by patthesoundguy »

84 and 85 sprees did not come with kick start, but you can convert to kick start from 86 or 87. You need the kick start assembly and the outer drive face of the drive pulley and I think that's it. The drive 86/87 pully has teeth on it that aren't there on the 84/85 counterpart. ImageImage
And I think that's all that's needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

People here really need to use the search function. Tired of seeing the same questions that have been answered countless times. Even worse, this topic is covered in the tech docs. Do some research and you'll see that all your questions have already been answered.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4547
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Yeah but ya know, not everyone is versed in the way these forums work. And hey I had the parts on the shelf and it took nothing for me to answer the question and post the pics. :-)

84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
otto-man
Spree
Spree

Post by otto-man »

WOW, I thought the purpose of this forum was to answer questions, not criticize lack of knowledge.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

otto-man wrote:WOW, I thought the purpose of this forum was to answer questions, not criticize lack of knowledge.
Amen :-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

otto-man wrote:WOW, I thought the purpose of this forum was to answer questions, not criticize lack of knowledge.
Hey I'm definitely not criticizing lack of knowledge at all. I don't really have any knowledge of scooters myself and have basically no experience with scooters but that doesn't mean I can't use the search function and do a little bit of research myself. All I'm saying :D
ratrodelite
BMX
BMX

Post by ratrodelite »

I saw this and tries to do it but when I put the cover back on the kickstart lever doesn't move at all. When I compared the pics to mine it looks like that half circle gear is down more than yours. How do you move it without taking a finger or two off.
Attachments
IMAG0810-1.jpg
IMAG0810-1.jpg (100.42 KiB) Viewed 9041 times
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Its funny you say that, right before I took that pic that gear on my cover was in the same position as yours,not wouldn't move either ;-) I need to consult the manual on how its supposed to be as the end of that gear is not cut out like the rest of the teeth meaning if the gear is in the position yours is it won't move.

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

I figured this solution out when my kick start broke so hopefully I can explain it to you. If need be I might be able to make a video to show you a little clearer. But anyways, first take a look at the image below so you can see what part I'm referring to as I explain. Notice in the very bottom picture, the spindle is not perfectly horizontal and you can see it is a little rotated. And then take a look at your picture and you can see that the spindle is perfectly horizontal and there lies the issue (took me FOREVER to figure this out). The red line in the picture represents the spindle if it were to be at the horizontal position, which is where yours currently lies. The blue line represents the gap/angle that you want your spindle to be in, in order for it to be able to sit at its resting point. First insert the spring and then the spindle, DO NOT insert the driven gear yet!!!! Then what you want to do is make sure the spindle isnt perfectly horizontal by rotating it a little. Then while you hold it (preventing horizontal spindle) you want to insert the driven gear. If done correctly, the spindle will then rotate a little more to its "at rest" position which will be a little angled and not horizontal. I hope this makes some sense, kind of difficult to explain over the chat but if need be I can make a video explaining how to do it. Hope this helps! Lemme know how it goes.

patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

The picture rocks :-). I thought that was the deal but hadnt checked the manual yet:-)

84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ratrodelite
BMX
BMX

Post by ratrodelite »

YES!!! I got it to work, couldn't have done without you guys. You rock.
bfowler
Elite
Elite

Post by bfowler »

ratrodelite wrote:YES!!! I got it to work, couldn't have done without you guys. You rock.
:geekdance: :geekdance: :geekdance: WOOOOOO glad you got it to work :D
Helping people sure does feel good :thumbsup: