My Spree engine runs.....BACKWARDS????

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

I have done many things to get my Spree to run.....clean carb, new spark plug, check compression etc....I have been using a drill on the drive side to try to start it. After rebuilding the carb for the 3rd time it finally started but the rear tire was spinning in reverse. Thinking I must of accidently changed the direction of the drill I switched it back to try to start it with no luck.

As I stated before...it runs....BACKWARDS??? Why on earth would it do that and does anyone have an explanation?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Yes, they will run backwards. Not good for it though, the piston is faced one way b/c there's a slight offset to keep it running forward.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

The bottom line is I need to know how make the engine run in the right direction.
mikeb
BMX
BMX

Post by mikeb »

i'd like to know this too - i have a buddy whos honda hobbit runs backwards.
1980 motobecane sebring : 1989 razz : 1985 spree : 1987 spree : 1986 spree : 2002 yamaha vino :1971 cb100 : 1998 civic : 2002 s2000
vonchuk
Goped
Goped

Post by vonchuk »

At one time in the ancient of days I serviced Messerschmitt automobiles. They had no reverse. To back up you started the engine Backwards. Most all two cycle engines will run backwards. The Messerschmitt had a second set of points which were used when running in reverse as the timing of the ignition had to be changed. If the timing is advanced too far ignition may take place too soon causing the engine to take off the wrong way. Possibly the problem with the Hobbit. Faulty Ignition timing is usually the problem. Timing can not be advanced as far as you can on four cycles. Another cause could be a build up of carbon in the combustion chamber that could cause early combustion in a warm engine kicking the engine backwards. This can also happen from grinding too much off of the cylinder head to raise compression. I recomend checking to see that the ignition timing is set to factory specks.
sprees, ciao, gilera 124, 62 vespa, yamaha 650xs
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

What I don't understand is how you managed to get the drill to turn the crank CCW without backing out the nut. It must be really in there.

Following is looking at the crank from drive side:

The Spree engine turns CW when running, which should turn the wheel CCW. This is opposite of the Elites; those engines run CCW to turn the wheel CCW. So Elite/Spree starters, while bolt-up interchangable, cannot be interchanged without some rework (someone here did figure out how though.)

If it won't start CW, but will CCW, I have no idea what the problem is. Only guess is to check the crank pickup on the fan side to see if it's loose, based on the up comments about timing, which are right-on.

As I think about it, not sure it matters which way it rotates from a design perspective. If you look at the bit of metal that triggers spark, it's pretty good sized. Maybe intentionally that way to run the engine either direction, depending on application?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yea all u do to run them started backwarsa is mis mach em green to red and red to green simple, and look to see if ur piston is on corretly.
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

BACKWARDS SPREE

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

THE ENGINE ON THE SPREE RUNS OPPOSITE FROM THE DIRECTION ONE WOULD EXPECT. WHEN VIEWED FROM THE CLUTCH SIDE, THE ENGINE TURNS CLOCKWISE.
Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

I understand that...but the back tire turns in reverse....hence...the engine will run but in the wrong direction. I took the engine apart today and everything is as it should be. I checked possible causes for possible timing problems. Would a bad CDI cause the engine to misfire but still possibly run....backwards?
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

most likely.

The CDI might be faulty, and if so would need to be replaced, because the timing is not adjustable on it.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i got a cdi.
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

dude noone cares dont post stuff like this. if u have one for sale use the pm system.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

darat wrote:dude noone cares dont post stuff like this. if u have one for sale use the pm system.
for real!!
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Yep, post for sale stuff in for-sale board, or PM ppl here.

So the engine won't start going forward... does the starter on the Spree engine work?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Spirit of 95
BMX
BMX

Post by Spirit of 95 »

I don't have an electric starter, just the kick start. I'm using a drill as a "starter" motor. I just got a newer CDI for the spree and seems to want to start a little more but its still not running properly. It still will start backwards though. It just seems that the timing is off witch is funny becasue as far as I know...there is no way to adjust it...is there?

Does anyone have any other ideas??? I would really appreciate them.