does a reed valve have a gasket?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Padlock2
Noob
Noob

does a reed valve have a gasket?

Post by Padlock2 »

Hey, i'm new to this forum since i just got an old not working moped; 1985 honda spree. I fixed it and got it running; and now i am inspecting all the gaskets and such and cleaning everything to make it look better and work better. While doing this, i came across the reed valve, and after taking it off, noticed that the sticky whatever it is that's on it, is not all there. i assume its a gasket but it isn't so much the hard black rubber or o rings as it is just a clear sticky latex like substance. anyhow, its all torn up, and broken, and i can't find any actual gaskets for it online. Is the substance on it even a gasket or does it come with a new reed valve already stuck on there. i'm hoping to improve my performance since it only goes about 23 mph. most of it is actually there just lots of bits missing, so can i just put some lubricant on it? or even make my own home made gasket?
All help greatly appreciated.
Wheelman-111

Re: does a reed valve have a gasket?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Welcome. Gas and air ratios are pretty precisely controlled on these little engines. Anything that allows unplanned air to be introduced, even a sliver of a gap, throws off that ratio. A lean fuel/air ratio - too much air - will cause the engine to run hot. Apparently some previous owner substituted some sort of Goo for the correct gasket. You should consider cutting a gasket from paper available at the auto parts store near you.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Padlock2
Noob
Noob

Post by Padlock2 »

will do. i actually think the main reason it only goes 23 is because there is no air filter. i ordered one the day i first got it started but it hasn't arrived yet, so i took it for a spin down the street and; it seems to cut off fuel or something once it hits 23 mph or if at a speed near that, i give it too much throttle. i looked online and did some investigating and a few web sites i went to said that the air comes into the carburetor too easily without the air filter. i hope the air filter will solve that, but figured i would try to resolve other issues too. i'll post back when i get that gasket made and test it out Thanks for the advice :)
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Just a thought - anytime you remove the intake/reeds, if you can preserve the old gasket as a pattern to draw out a new one on gasket paper... even if it's stuck to the reed cage or intake, putting a little ink on it and pressing it onto the paper will make locating the cut-outs easier.

I have built up a collection of old gaskets for this purpose - you never know when Honda will discontinue another one.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

breaze wrote:Just a thought - anytime you remove the intake/reeds, if you can preserve the old gasket as a pattern to draw out a new one on gasket paper... even if it's stuck to the reed cage or intake, putting a little ink on it and pressing it onto the paper will make locating the cut-outs easier.

I have built up a collection of old gaskets for this purpose - you never know when Honda will discontinue another one.

Exactly, good advice I do the same thing.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Padlock2
Noob
Noob

Post by Padlock2 »

today was a nighmare. i took the cylinder head off and cleaned off all the carbon build up. when i put it back on, one of the bolts didn't tighten on very tight. it was loose and just kept turning. then it broke inside the block and i pulled half of it out. it took hours to fix. anyhow, i guess i'll have to wait til tomorrow to do the gasket stuff. i would have gotten to it already but i'm still in high school most hours of the day. martynkim; ya that sounds like a good idea.. also a cheaper way to replace my other gaskets as opposed to buying them.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Given the age of the bolts, and how many times they have been tourqued you may want to replace them all. Sounds like you need to source at least one now. Buy all four save yourself the trouble.
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
Padlock2
Noob
Noob

Post by Padlock2 »

meh, i'll stick with them unless they give me trouble. too short on funds right now. i actually got a bolt from the local hardware store that fits. isn't the same; it's threaded all the way up but it holds it together ok.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Padlock2 wrote:meh, i'll stick with them unless they give me trouble. too short on funds right now. i actually got a bolt from the local hardware store that fits. isn't the same; it's threaded all the way up but it holds it together ok.

Okay, your funeral.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings

If there is trouble caused by the cylinder bolts/studs, it will take the shape of a seized top end with shavings contaminating and ruining your crank and its bearings. Be sure.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Padlock2
Noob
Noob

Post by Padlock2 »

wait what? so here is how i fixed the bolt problem. i left the 1/4'' end in there and put a much shorter bolt with larger threads (they barely touch the sides of the hole)threaded all the way up the bolt; put it through the fins and put nuts between each fin to hold the cylinder head on. is that bad?
i made the gaskets, and although it didn't help noticeably i'm sure it did something. the auto bystarter wires weren't connected all the way and it was really cold out. fixed the wires
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The head and cylinder are fastened to the crankcase by 4 long bolts. It is important that the cylinder and head are held firmly, square and true to the case. That is why the Factory Manual calls for using a torque wrench in stepwise increases on a criss-cross pattern. You can't just crank down some random bolt and hope. This is one of the very few assembly procedures you must follow exactly, or you run the risk of ruining your engine and more work to rebuild.

There are correct and incorrect ways to address a broken or stripped fastener, so read up. Using the correct method helps ensure reliable, long-lived performance.
Wheelman-111
Padlock2
Noob
Noob

Post by Padlock2 »

so you mean the bolts that hold the cylinder head to the cylinder also hold the cylinder to something else?
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

yes the block sheeesh read the manual!
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
Padlock2
Noob
Noob

Post by Padlock2 »

well.... only reason i asked is cause it sure doesn't look like it. i don't think they're long enough. i searched through the manuel for something showing where the bolts are and it only showed me a picture of them screwed on which is useless. i need an exploded view of the engine. well anyhow i'll tear it apart again and take the part to the welding shop at my school and drill it out..