'86 Spree runs then dies

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: '86 Spree runs then dies

Post by martynkim »

Burl_GT wrote:Anybody know where I can get a needle without buying A whole rebuild kit?

Im sure I have one.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Burl_GT
Noob
Noob

Post by Burl_GT »

martynkim wrote:
Burl_GT wrote:Anybody know where I can get a needle without buying A whole rebuild kit?

Im sure I have one.

Great, I haven't had a chance to verify the number yet. Hopefully this afternoon>
lakehouse
Goped
Goped

Post by lakehouse »

If it were me. I'd bet on the vacuum line being too weak to keep the fuel shut off valve open. I had the same issue with my Elite as you are having. I installed a "press in" brass vacuum hose barb in the intake manifold that I got from my local cycle shop. I initially tested it with a vacuum hand pump, and it would run perfectly with the valve open until I connected the line to the carb. Then it did just what yours is doing. Best two bucks I spent to cure a problem. (You can use your vise as a press to install the new fitting after you drill a hole in the intake.)
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

lakehouse wrote:..I'd bet on the vacuum line being too weak to keep the fuel shut off valve open. I had the same issue with my Elite as you are having. I installed a "press in" brass vacuum hose barb in the intake manifold that I got from my local cycle shop. I initially tested it with a vacuum hand pump, and it would run perfectly with the valve open until I connected the line to the carb.
There is no mod required.

1) Lakehouse - your Elite E (SB50) was plumbed incorrectly. Could have been the prior owner. On a SB50 tap on the carb is the oil line, the tap on the intake *is* the vac pickup. Otherwise, you are correct, there's not much vacuum at that point, Nil at idle...

2) The poster has a Spree, and they already have a tap on the intake for Vac *and* oil.
Spree_Intake.JPG
Spree_Intake.JPG (24.67 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Burl_GT
Noob
Noob

Post by Burl_GT »

Needle has "76P" stamped on it. Also, I have a new petcock to install. It was cheap so, just to remove it from the equation. Vacuum line has been replaced, and new clamps on it. The barb appears clear and clean on the intake side.

One thing I would like to do before I put the carb body back in is install Heli-coils. The threads at the flange mount have very little contact as designed, This thing has been out several times. I fear stripping them and creating an intake leak that will mask any remedy applied to the carb.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Needle has "76P" stamped on it.
Good - that will get you the correct part.
One thing I would like to do before I put the carb body back in is install Heli-coils. The threads at the flange mount have very little contact as designed, This thing has been out several times. I fear stripping them and creating an intake leak that will mask any remedy applied to the carb.
For a quick fix, there's room for a std metric jam nut if the bolt length is carefully sized. Also, some use a large bolt and re-tap - M7 or 1/4 x 20.
http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... 2&#p217062
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Burl_GT wrote:Needle has "76P" stamped on it. Also, I have a new petcock to install. It was cheap so, just to remove it from the equation. Vacuum line has been replaced, and new clamps on it. The barb appears clear and clean on the intake side.

I will take a look for one Pm me for a reminder. I think you already contacted me on my Cl ad so give me a call too.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
Burl_GT
Noob
Noob

Post by Burl_GT »

This is the carb body. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to get moving on this. I appreciate all contributing to the solution.
Attachments
spreecarb.jpg
spreecarb.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 4074 times
Burl_GT
Noob
Noob

Post by Burl_GT »

martynkim wrote:
Burl_GT wrote:Needle has "76P" stamped on it. Also, I have a new petcock to install. It was cheap so, just to remove it from the equation. Vacuum line has been replaced, and new clamps on it. The barb appears clear and clean on the intake side.

I will take a look for one Pm me for a reminder. I think you already contacted me on my Cl ad so give me a call too.
Will do. I saw you on CL but haven't contacted you yet.